Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
432 Discussions

SMART Attributes for the client family ssd

GOH001
Beginner

I need the smart attribute of nand written by host/firmware. I know the data center family provides this. But there is no resource for the client family. Does the client family ssd also provide the nand written bytes information?

I am doing researches on the WAF impact of the application, but many of the other vendors ssd does not offer nand written bytes.

I found that micron offers this, but their product is not reliable to conduct various experiments.

Before I buy intel's SSDs, I want to know whether the client family ssd also offers nand written bytes because I can't afford to buy a data center family ssd.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Gee, we could answer this question for you - if Intel would fix their web site and put the TPS documents where they can be found! Honestly, the site is an embarrassment!

JosafathB_Intel

Hello GOH001,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support.

As described in the article “How To Check Intel® Solid State Drive for SMART Errors” (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000031012/memory-and-storage/consumer-ssds.html):

The Intel® SSD Toolbox is a drive management software that allows you to view various information about your system and your Intel SSD.

Please, refer to Intel® SSD Data Center Family SMART Attributes (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023512/memory-and-storage/data-center-ssds.html) to decode what the SMART attributes are and what their function is.

For example in the SATA consumer Intel® SSD 530/535/540/545 series you can find:

E1h Host Writes: The raw value of this attribute reports the total number of sectors written by the host system. The raw value is increased by 1 for every 65,536 sectors (32MB) written by the host.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Best regards.

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Sorry Josh but, in my mind, that response doesn't cut it. I want to access documents specific to these consumer drives that lists the S.M.A.R.T. attributes supported, not some general document specific to Data Center drives. Not all drives are created equal. Plus, the Intel tools are useless for anyone wanting to have constant monitoring in a system.

...S

GOH001
Beginner

I agree with Scott. I need the lists of the S.M.A.R.T atrributes for consumers. SSD Toolbox and data center spec are useless.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello GOH001 and n.scott.pearson,

Thank you for your reply.

We are going to be working on reviewing your inquiry related to the SMART attributes in the consumer SSDs to provide you with further assistance with your request.

We will be contacting you back as soon as we have an update or in case further information is required.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello GOH001 and n.scott.pearson,

Thank you for your patience.

To answer your original post, yes, consumer SSDs also gives the NAND writes value using Toolbox. WAF is calculated by dividing NAND Writes between Host Writes. Both SMART attributes are shown in Toolbox.

For the question related to the SSD TPS, please, take into consideration that the SSD datasheets are not publicly available, so they are not included in the website.

We currently do not have a document that refers to the SMART attributes in general for Consumer SSDs, but individually to every SSD.

However, we will forward this request to the team in charge so they can consider it and create a similar document to the one available for Data Center. This may take a while, and we don't have ETA. 

If you are interested in a particular SSD Series, we can try to get a list of the SMART attributes quicker.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel®

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, my response, as a software developer trying to handle them in general, would be "all of them". @GOH001​ will need to chime in on what drives are most important to him...

...S

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello, n.scott.pearson,

Thank you for your reply and for your feedback.

We will be looking forward to the "GIHWAN OH" reply to check the SSD family that he is interested in and to share the information with the community.

Have a good day.

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician.

A Contingent Worker at Intel®.

0 Kudos
GOH001
Beginner

I am planning to buy 660P and 760P​ NVMe. Do they provide a WAF information as precise as the data center family?

My research is related to the WAF, but as a student, my budget is not enough to try everything, so I want an exact answer.

Thank you so much for your supports.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello GOH001,

Thank you for your reply.

We are going to be working on reviewing your inquiry related to the SMART attributes in the consumer Intel® SSD 760p Series and the Intel® SSD 660p to provide you with further assistance with your request.

We will be contacting you back as soon as we have an update or in case further information is required.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello GOH001,

Thank you for your patience

Unfortunately, the NAND writes are not part of the standard SMART info and as such is not provided by the Intel® tools. Writeamp cannot be predicted as this is highly dependent on the usage and workload on the drive. But as you utilize the drive of your choice, you can monitor the "Percentage Used" attribute which will provide you input on the health of the drive vs our 5-year warranty.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Have a nice day.

Josh B.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello GOH001,

We have not heard from you since your first post 11 days ago, please, let us know if you need further information related to the Intel® consumer SSDs.We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

A Contingent Worker at Intel®.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello GOH001,

We were reviewing your community post, which is related to the Intel® consumer SSDs, and we would like to know if you need further assistance.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos