Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
432 Discussions

SSD 100% spikes, can't update firmware

Mguyett
Beginner

I have 2 identical drives.  One is giving me 100% spikes suddenly, which locks up anything running on the drive for a good 45 seconds.  I installed the Memory and Storage tool, saw that the firmware was listed out of date and ran the update.  Update tells me it succeeded and to reboot.  After reboot the drives are still showing the previous firmware version and want me to update it.

Drives: SSDSC2BX400G4

FW: G2010110

Both drives are under 50% utilized and show as healthy in the tool.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @Mguyett.

Thank you for contacting Intel Community Support.

I received your ticket regarding your drive locking up and also the firmware update issue, I will be glad to assist you.

Have you tried performing the firmware update using the Intel Data Center Tool (DCT) or the Intel Firmware Update Tool (FUT)?

DCT is a "command prompt" based tool, and FUT is used as a bootable USB, the latter usually requires a bit more effort since it involves a third-party tool to mount the ISO, so if this is not possible, that is not a problem.

- DCT download: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29720/Intel-SSD-Data-Center-Tool-Intel-SSD-DCT-?v=t

- FUT download: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29722?v=t

- Installation and user guides are available on the same page.

Once DCT is installed you can use the following commands*:

- To show all the Intel drives connected to the system and each index: isdct show -intelssd

- To update the firmware of a specific drive, just replace the X with the drive index: isdct load -intelssd X

If the firmware update fails, please try to gather the following details, just upload the outputs of these commands as attachments to this thread.

- To show the SMART details of a specific drive, just replace the X with the drive index: isdct show -smart -intelssd X

- To show all the details of the drive: isdct show -all -intelssd X

These commands also work for the command-line version of Intel Memory and Storage Tool, just replace isdct with intelmas.

Additionally, I would like to know the following:

1. Are the drives being used individually or as part of a RAID array?

2. Are the drives directly connected to the motherboard via SATA cable?

3. Have you tried performing a secure erase or low-level format to check if the issues persist after?

- You can sue the tools mentioned in the following link, but KillDisk is the one I consider easier to use: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006198/memory-and-storage.html

I will follow up on December 10th, or we can schedule a different date for the follow-up if necessary.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Mguyett
Beginner

I tried the DCT tool on one of the drives, with the same result, it acts like it updates the firmware, then after the reboot it's still at the old version.

1. Are the drives being used individually or as part of a RAID array? Individual

2. Are the drives directly connected to the motherboard via SATA cable? Yes

3. Have you tried performing a secure erase or low-level format to check if the issues persist after?

No, I don't want to lose the data on the drives and I haven't had the time to transfer it to another drive yet.

I've attached the results from the 2 commands you posted.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @Mguyett.

Thank you for all the information and details.

Based on the files from BTHC510200EW400VGN, there are no critical errors or alerts, it seems to be working fine, and there are also no reports about similar issues for this SSD Series.

Check if you can do the following:

1. Try performing the firmware update with the drive connected to a different system, just to rule out the possibility of something external causing this behavior.

2. If you are running a Windows-based system, you may try installing the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver from the system/motherboard manufacturer or the generic version from us and performing the firmware update again after a restart:

- Download the latest RST driver from the Intel page (generic): https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29978/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Driver-Installation-Software-with-Intel-Optane-Memory?product=55005

3. I understand performing the secure erase may be troublesome if you have to migrate the information somewhere else, that being said it is still an option especially in the case of the SSD with the SSD that is locking up.

Additionally, please let me know the following:

- How long ago did you purchase the drives?

- Do you have a copy of the invoice or receipt from the store/website where you bought the drives?

I will follow up on December 11th or we can schedule a different date to follow-up if necessary.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @Mguyett.

This message is to follow up on your ticket regarding your S3610 Series drives.

If you have any questions regarding my previous message or I can assist you with anything else, please let me know, I will follow up on December 16th or we can schedule the follow up for a different date if necessary.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @Mguyett.

This message is to follow up on your community thread to check if I can be of assistance.

I previously shared the possibility to perform the firmware update in a different computer (to rule out the possibility of this being system related) or installing the Intel RST driver if possible.

The thread will be closed right now since there has been no confirmation, if further assistance is required, please open a new one as this one will no longer be monitored, or contact us via one of the other support methods (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html).

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos