Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool

SSD hard disk firmware

MYous3
Beginner

I have face issue update the firmware of SSD hard disk of Lenovo laptop T460. snapshot are attached for the reference.

Please any one help......

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi MKhurramY,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

You are not able to update the firmware of your drive because it's an OEM drive. In this case the OEM is Lenovo*. An OEM drive is an Intel® drive that has been designed with a special firmware based on OEM requirements. These drives are usually used in laptops like in this case, and they cannot be used with the Intel® tools for firmware updates.

If a firmware update is released by the OEM, then the OEM should provide the proper tool to update it, but if there are no new firmware releases by the OEM, then there is no need to update the firmware on OEM drives.

I hope this information answers your concern.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi MKhurramY,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

You are not able to update the firmware of your drive because it's an OEM drive. In this case the OEM is Lenovo*. An OEM drive is an Intel® drive that has been designed with a special firmware based on OEM requirements. These drives are usually used in laptops like in this case, and they cannot be used with the Intel® tools for firmware updates.

If a firmware update is released by the OEM, then the OEM should provide the proper tool to update it, but if there are no new firmware releases by the OEM, then there is no need to update the firmware on OEM drives.

I hope this information answers your concern.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
MYous3
Beginner

Thanks for you information/support. so you mean, now i coordinate with lenovo/OEM release the new firmware against this model of the Hard disk. @

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi MKhurramY,

That's correct, however it may be possible that Lenovo* doesn't have any new firmware release for the drive. A new firmware version is usually released when there are fixes for known issues or there are improvements available for the drive or additional features, etc. The firmware versions that we release are intended for generic drives, but as the one you have is an OEM drive, our firmware releases won't work with it.

You can contact Lenovo* and ask them if they have any firmware version available for this specific drive. If they don't have any, then that would mean that there is no need to update the firmware.

I hope this clarifies the concern.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos