Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
432 Discussions

Strange issue wit installation of 'Intel Optane SSD 900P 280GB PCIe' on Gigabyte mainboard (Z87P-D3) from 2014.

YWong19
Beginner

Last week I bought the Intel Optane SSD 900P 280GB PCIe (hard drive, not memory).

The reason is to replace my old hard drive (old SSD-device of Intel (80 gb) from 2009).

I wonder if this SSD-device is finally compatible with my mainboard. I tried to install the hardware on the mainboard and used the second PCI Express x16 slot. The first PCI Express is for the graphics card.

It works (after setting it to GPT), and Windows recognized it. After Windows installation and rebooting, the 'reboot prompt' continuously appear.

In BIOS it won't recognize the SSD-device also.

On the website of Gigabyte I saw that the latest driver update is created on 2014, while the SSD-device is released in end 2017.

I wonder if this SSD-device is finally compatible with my mainboard. If yes, what can I do? If not, I will return the SSD-device. Hopefully a quick answer can be given, because of the return period.

My mainboard:

Gigabyte Z87P-D3 (slots: 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16) AND 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)

Many thanks, I'm not a technician. I'm from the Netherlands and having time to renew my hard drive.

In attachment you will see the specification of my desktop computer.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

According to this article: System Requirements for an Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series Drive, you must have a system that has support for NVMe. Your 8 Series board *does not* have support for NVMe in its BIOS. Without this support, it will not be able to recognize the SSD and it will not be able to boot from it. With the support that Windows 10 has for NVMe drives, you will be able to access the drive from Windows and can use it for fast data storage, but, without the boot capability in the BIOS, you will not be able to boot from this device.

Your only real choice for fast storage on this motherboard is a fast SATA SSD. I do not even see support for mSATA on this board (not that that actually ran any faster). It may be time for you to think about upgrading your processor and motherboard.

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

According to this article: System Requirements for an Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series Drive, you must have a system that has support for NVMe. Your 8 Series board *does not* have support for NVMe in its BIOS. Without this support, it will not be able to recognize the SSD and it will not be able to boot from it. With the support that Windows 10 has for NVMe drives, you will be able to access the drive from Windows and can use it for fast data storage, but, without the boot capability in the BIOS, you will not be able to boot from this device.

Your only real choice for fast storage on this motherboard is a fast SATA SSD. I do not even see support for mSATA on this board (not that that actually ran any faster). It may be time for you to think about upgrading your processor and motherboard.

...S

0 Kudos
YWong19
Beginner

That is really a pity. I remember that the mainboard was bought in 2014 and it's quite frustating that a 6 year old 'thing' is not able to cope with the developments. I thank you for giving the advice. Hopefully somebody of Intel will also give an answer on this topic.

Great thanks, greetings from the Netherlands.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"the mainboard was bought in 2014 and it's quite frustating that a 6 year old 'thing' is not able to cope with the developments"

SIX years ago, in computer development, is an eternity.

Doc

0 Kudos