Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
435 Discussions

Would Optane 900p work well as a swap drive in Ubuntu?

CBish
Beginner

For some of my scientific calculations I could use up to 1 TB of memory if it was available. I was thinking that with the low latency of the Optane drives that these could work well as a swap drive, but I code in Ubuntu. Would this actually work as simply as adding it as swap space like I would any other HDD/SSD? Would it still have the same low latency?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello cbishop,

We would like to let you know that the U.2 version of the Intel® SSD 900p supports hotplug so you can easily swap drives within a server.

Please let us know if you have any other question.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello cbishop,

We would like to know if you have any other question or if our previous post helped you. We'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
CBish
Beginner

The current answer isn't exactly what I was looking for. I understand that there is extra software for windows, so I wanted to know if this drive would work as a regular ssd in linux .i.e show up as a regular mountable drive. My goal would be to set it as the swap area in linux, since I have applications that require 400+ GB of memory, but not enough ram.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi cbishop,

About if the drive works as a regular SSD in Linux*, we can let you know that we have tested it with RHEL 7.2 and Ubuntu 15.04. As long as the operating system comes with the inbox NVMe* driver, you should be able to use it normally.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello cbishop,

We haven't heard from you in a while. Please let us know if our previous reply was helpful or if there's anything else we can do for you.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos