Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool

eDrive on Optane 900P

CHoch2
Beginner

Hi,

I'm trying to activate eDrive on my Optane 900P. I've already tried the SSD Pro Admin Tool, but it doesn't seem to work.

Is there a way to enable it or is this feature unavailable?

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BSmit23
Beginner

I have the same query, bitlocker will only activate with software encryption.

How do we use the AES 256 bit hardware encryption that these drives are advertised as supporting?

https://ark.intel.com/products/123626/Intel-Optane-SSD-900P-Series-480GB-12-Height-PCIe-x4-20nm-3D-Xpoint Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series (480GB, 1/2 Height PCIe x4, 20nm, 3D Xpoint) Product Specifications

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello chrisl007 and BobSmith5555,

We understand that you're having problems activating eDrive* on the Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series.

The Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series is not an eDrive* or Opal compliant device. You can use BIOS set ATA password or encryption software solutions to make use of the built-in AES-256 encryption. With AES-256, the data on the drive is always encrypted by its algorithm and this happens transparently to the user.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
CHoch2
Beginner

Hi Eugenio,

this is really disappointing to hear. Are there any plans to fix this in the future, possibly via a firmware update?

I find it quite disturbing that such a high-end SSD doesn't have a feature which is quite common...

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello chrisl007,

Thanks for your reply.

As far as we know, there are no plans to add eDrive* compliance to the Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series. However, we appreciate your consideration and we'll inform our business unit about it.

Currently, eDrive* is supported on the Intel® SSD Pro 2500, Pro 5400, and Pro 6000p Series products.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
BSmit23
Beginner

"Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you."

Hi Eugenio, thank you for confirming that the drive does not support the edrive spec yet.

Would Intel have a list of motherboards that Intel has tested the ATA password functionality on successfully? I have a Z370 board and it seems to be missing this option so I would need to get another board.

Thanks

Bob

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BobSmith5555,

Thanks for your reply.

You can find a list of tested motherboards for the Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series at http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ Intel® Product Compatibility Tool. However, it doesn't specify if ATA is supported or not.

We recommend to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/oems.html contact the motherboard manufacturer to confirm if the board supports ATA security on NVMe drives (as this was originally intended for SATA based drives). If this is not the case, we recommend using software encryption solutions such as BitLocker*.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos