Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
431 Discussions

issdfut_64_3.0.7.iso: Failed to load ldlinux.c32

GH000
Beginner

I have tried t this image SSD Firmware Update iso image with cdrom/dvd rw/usbstick and qemu. All have resulted in the same error. (see screenhot)Bildschirmfoto_2019-08-16_09-35-51.pngScreenshot is from qemu test. Used command:

# qemu-system-x86_64 -cdrom issdfut_64_3.0.7.iso

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JosafathB_Intel

Hello MKauf4,

Thank you for your reply.

We tried to reproduce the issue that you are reporting in our lab, in our case, we were able to successfully create a bootable CD using the ISO file included in the FUT download (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28749/Intel-SSD-Firmware-Update-Tool?product=80097) using the Windows pre-built option.

We are glad to hear that you were able to use Unetbooting to create a USB bootable media.

If you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
JosafathB_Intel

Hello GH000,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support.

As we understand, you need assistance regarding the Intel® SSD Firmware Update Tool, if we infer correctly, please review the information below:

·    The Intel® SSD Firmware Update Tool is not recommended to be used with any hypervisor or virtualization environment. This because unknown issues may occur like the one you are reporting.

·    Instead we recommend you boot you PC from the USB/DVD or CD directly and to update your SSD firmware.

Please let us know the SSD product that you need to update the firmware this to provide you with further support.

We hope you find this information helpful.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
GH000
Beginner

Hello Josh,

Thank you for your answer.

Yes the file issdfut_64_3.0.7.iso is the Intel® SSD Firmware Update Tool which I would like to apply to my SSD:

INTEL SSDSA2M080G2GC, S/N:CVPO008600MT080BGN, WWN:5-001517-9591e25b6, FW:2CV102HD, 80.0 GB

I am running Debian 9 and I do not have Windows.

As I mentioned in my post I tried already to burn this iso image to CD and DVD-RW (using Brasero) and an USB Stick (using isohybrid and dd) . All variants gave the same error "Failed to load ldlinux.c32" while booting.

For further testing I also tested it with qemu as described wich also produced the exact same error and enabled me to make the screenshot.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello GH000,

We are going to be working on reviewing your inquiry and on trying to reproduce your issue. We will be contacting you back as soon as we have an update or in case further information is required.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello GH000,

Thank you for your patience.

To create a bootable USB drive in to run the Intel® SSD Firmware Update Tool (FUT) on Linux we advise you to follow the steps below:

Download the latest version of the Intel® SSD Firmware Update Tool from this link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28749/Intel-SSD-Firmware-Update-Tool?product=80097

Unzip the file and have the ISO file in an easy to find location.

Visit the following website to download the “UNetbootin” for Linux binaries:

https://unetbootin.github.io/linux_download.html

Please follow the instructions provided on this website:

To run these binaries, download them and run the command chmod +x ./unetbootin-linux, or go to Properties->Permissions and check "Execute"), then start the application by running ./unetbootin-linux

Take into consideration that it may need some other binaries like “https://pkgs.org/download/p7zip” previously installed in your system to work properly.

Please check the following screenshot as a reference of the configuration that you need to set up.

steps.png

We advise you to run this application as administrator.

1. Choose the “Diskimage” option.

2. Select the “Floppy” option.

3. Select the location of the FUT ISO file.

4. Select the USB drive.

5. Click OK.

Bear in mind that this process will take from minutes to hours depending on your software and hardware configuration.

If you have future questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We will be more than happy to help you in any way we can.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Third-Party Content: Web Sites and Materials may contain user or third party submitted content; such content is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Intel and is provided solely as a convenience to our customers and users. Under no circumstances will Intel be liable in any way for any third party submitted or provided content, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions, or damages of any kind. ANY MATERIAL DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE MATERIALS IS DONE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR OTHER DEVICE OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF ANY SUCH MATERIAL. By your use, you agree that you must evaluate, and bear all risks associated with, the use of any third-party content, including any reliance on the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of such content. All postings and use of the Web Sites or Material are subject to these Terms of Use and any other program and site-specific terms.

0 Kudos
GH000
Beginner

Thank you for you answer. I did what you desribed but ufotunatly the error is the same:

20190820_003.jpgBildschirmfoto_2019-08-20_04-59-05.png

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello GH000,

To further assist you we have the following recommendations:

1.      Please download a new copy of the Intel® SSD Firmware Update Tool from this link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28749/Intel-SSD-Firmware-Update-Tool?product=80097

And use the “P7zip” tool or a similar app to unzip the file.

2.      We advise you to run this application as administrator.

3.      Try to use a different USB thumb drive to create the bootable media.

We have tested the shared process in different Linux distributions and we did not experience the problem that you are reporting.

Please let us know the results after following our recommendations.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
GH000
Beginner

Thank you for your information.

I will try again next week with a different USB Stick.

0 Kudos
GH000
Beginner

I tried it with another usb stick FAT32 formatted. Unfortunately the same error.

I ran unetbootin-linux64-661.bin as root took the issdfut_64_3.0.7.iso from a new download with the settings like my screenshot.

Did you test this under Debian 9?

Unfortunatly I do not have Windows.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello GH000,

Thank you for having contacted Intel® Memory & Storage Support. 

This is just a friendly reminder that your case remains open.

Should you need our technical assistance please do not hesitate to contact us back. 

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello GH000,

We will be looking forward to your reply letting us know the results.

If you have future questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We will be more than happy to help you in any way we can.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
MKauf4
Beginner

Hello,

I have the same issue.

I used Windows to simply burn the ISO image to a CD and boot it.

I assume this is the basic usage and should work without addidional preprocessing.

But it always fails with this, on every computer, regardless of boot mode settinge.

0 Kudos
MKauf4
Beginner

Well, I succeeded by creating a bootable USB medium with UNetbootin in Windows.

But it should be cleary stated that the image can't be simply burnt to a CD.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello MKauf4,

We tried to reproduce the issue that you are reporting in our lab, in our case, we were able to successfully create a bootable CD using the ISO file included in the FUT download (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28749/Intel-SSD-Firmware-Update-Tool?product=80097) using the Windows pre-built option.

We are glad to hear that you were able to use Unetbooting to create a USB bootable media.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello GH000,

This process was tested using different versions of Linux like Ubuntu, Suse, etc.

We did test this process in Debian 9, we did not notice any difference between the distributions based on Debian and Debian 9 the tool worked as expected as SU.

We hope you find this information useful.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
GH000
Beginner

Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately I run out of ideas what to try next.

I would love to have a plain, simple, stupid, standardized ISO file without any dependency to some obscure external copying / burning tool that is not part of standard distributions. Better tough to have a ISO hybrid image that can be bitwise copied to USB (for example with simple dd) or burned to CD with every burning software on this planet. Debian does this with their installation CD's and I was copying CD's and USB sticks for years on different plattforms without any issue.

https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/amd64/ch04s03.html.en

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello GH000,

We understand that this process can be frustrating, but since we already tried several options to create the bootable media from your OS and doesn’t work as expected. Our recommendation will be to try to get another system with Windows* and create the bootable media using Rufus (https://rufus.ie/) or to connect your SSD to a system with Windows to update the firmware using the Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28808/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox?product=80096).

Thank you for your feedback, we will provide it to the department in charge of developing the tool to be taken into consideration for future releases.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Third-Party Content: Web Sites and Materials may contain user or third party submitted content; such content is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Intel and is provided solely as a convenience to our customers and users. Under no circumstances will Intel be liable in any way for any third party submitted or provided content, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions, or damages of any kind. ANY MATERIAL DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE MATERIALS IS DONE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR OTHER DEVICE OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF ANY SUCH MATERIAL. By your use, you agree that you must evaluate, and bear all risks associated with, the use of any third-party content, including any reliance on the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of such content. All postings and use of the Web Sites or Material are subject to these Terms of Use and any other program and site-specific terms.

0 Kudos
FMook
Novice

I just ran into this specific problem myself on a specific computer, using the same 3.0.7 bootable CD I've been using. Not sure what's different about this PC, but I was able to work around the problem by having the CD boot in UEFI mode. Same problem occurs with the 3.0.8 CD as well.

0 Kudos
devZer0
Beginner

hello,

>I used Windows to simply burn the ISO image to a CD and boot it.
>I assume this is the basic usage and should work without addidional preprocessing.
>But it always fails with this, on every computer, regardless of boot mode settinge.

i think @MKauf4 (and others) are right.

i think the iso is definitively broken for bios boot mode, as i tried with different systems. various sources/references on the net provide similar picture.

uefi boot works.

>The tool ISO cannot be modified, accessed, or used differently

no, this is wrong. apparently intel has either no ressources, interest or capability to fix it. maybe the issue simply did not get to the right people for
further investigation. i guess it wasn't clear that legacy bios boot is the problem, so there was no repro-case yet...

i hope this post will change that and avoids people pulling their hair out and wasting their time...

i investigate the problem and first tried to replace isolinux.bin in the intel iso with isolinux-debug.bin from
https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/Testing/6.04/syslinux-6.04-pre1.zip ( syslinux-6.04-pre1.zip -> bios/core/isolinux-debug.bin),
which immediately fixed the problem after recreating the iso.

further investigation showed, that the non-debug isolinux.bin from syslinux-6.04-pre1 also works.

apparently, the intel iso comes with some weird isolinux version. according to to syslinux website , some 6.4 release version does not exist, so what's the source if the isolinux.bin on the intel iso ?

version string from intel iso image:
# cat /mnt/isolinux.bin |strings|grep -i ISOLINUX
ISOLINUX 6.04

version string from syslinux zip:
# cat syslinux/bios/core/isolinux.bin |strings|grep ISOLINUX
ISOLINUX 6.04 6.04-pre1

when i boot from original iso, i can either select normal boot or uefi boot.

with my own re-created iso, the uefi boot option is gone shown anymore. normal/legacy-bios boot now works.

i assume i need to add more options to mkisofs to make uefi boot available, too. did not investigate further, just wanted to show that bios legacy boot is the problem (in conjunjtion with isolinux.bin )

receipe:

1. fetch latest issdfut from intel , unzip , loop mount iso:

# mount -o loop issdfut_64_3.0.12.iso /mnt

2. copy contents to some writeable location:

# cd /mnt; tar cf - . | ( cd /some/path/issdfut ; tar xfp -)

3. get https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/Testing/6.04/syslinux-6.04-pre1.zip

4. extract and replace isolinux.bin

# unzip syslinux-6.04-pre1.zip

# cp syslinux/bios/core/isolinux.bin /some/path/issdfut/isolinux/isolinux.bin

5. recreate the iso

# mkisofs -R -D -V "Intel SSD Firmware Update Tool" -o issdfut.iso -b issdfut.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table ./issdfut

6. boot from iso via cd/dvd or (like me) external usb harddisk with cdrom emulation (zalman / iodd)

voila !

if you search the net for "Failed to load ldlinux.c32 intel ssd firmware", you get a lot of hits, so apparently many people have
problems with your iso and spending lots of time with it (like me), so please fix it (see https://github.com/ventoy/Ventoy/issues/522 for example).

regards
roland

0 Kudos
devZer0
Beginner

the intel iso is seems to be based on yoctolinux, which contains syslinux 6.04-pre2  ( https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/commit/?id=6f686a4e5117003d59c8e526246bbc283d4806fd )

on syslinux page at https://wiki.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Syslinux_6_Changelog#Changes_in_6.04 there is:

"Note: Official Syslinux 6.04-pre2 and 6.04-pre3 binary files are _not_ recommended for testing."

on syslinux mailing list at https://www.syslinux.org/archives/2019-September/026529.html there is:
Please avoid official 6.04-pre2 and 6.04-pre3 (and official git master 
head at the time of this email). These _will_ fail at some point or 
another.

so maybe the problem is derived from yoctolinux...

0 Kudos