Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15465 Discussions

ALTMULT-ACCUM (Multiplier-accumulate) Alternative

Shainy
Beginner

Hi all,

I'm a newbie, using Quartus Prime Lite 18.1, and my device is of Cyclone V family. I need to build a multiplier-accumulator, and learnt that the IP catalog consists of an arithmetic megafunction; ALTMULT-ACCUM. But when referring to the 'Integer Arithmetic Megafunctions User Guide' it mentions that Quartus Prime 13.1 upwards do not support this megafunction for cyclone V, instead use ALTMULT_ADD (Mulitply- Adder). But, when I try to use this function on Quartus, it says that this is not supported for cyclone V anymore. I'd like to know if there is any alternative that I could use or if there is a way to create a megafunction or a way to get around this issue. Hoping someone could help me in figuring this out. Thanks in advance!!

Best Regards,

Shainy

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Nurina
Employee

Hi Shainy,

You're using the wrong IP. You should be using ALTERA_MULT_ADD, you can refer to this document: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_lpm_alt_mfug.pdf#page...

Prior to Quartus II v14.0, these IP cores were called Megafunctions and used MegaWizard Plug-In to be generated into the design. Starting from Quartus II v14.0, they're referred to as IP, and you are required to use IP catalog to generate them. Although it's been a long time since Quartus v14.0, for Cyclone V devices, the MegaWizard Plug-In will be prompted to select the parameters after you have selected the Arithmatic IP core on IP catalog.

Regards,

Nurina

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Nurina
Employee

Hi Shainy,

You're using the wrong IP. You should be using ALTERA_MULT_ADD, you can refer to this document: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_lpm_alt_mfug.pdf#page...

Prior to Quartus II v14.0, these IP cores were called Megafunctions and used MegaWizard Plug-In to be generated into the design. Starting from Quartus II v14.0, they're referred to as IP, and you are required to use IP catalog to generate them. Although it's been a long time since Quartus v14.0, for Cyclone V devices, the MegaWizard Plug-In will be prompted to select the parameters after you have selected the Arithmatic IP core on IP catalog.

Regards,

Nurina

Shainy
Beginner

Hi Nurina,

Thank you so much for the guidance! I'll refer to the document given above. Thanks again!

Best Regards,

Shainy

Nurina
Employee

Hi Shainy,

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Regards,
Nurina

P/S: If you like my comment, feel free to give Kudos. If my comment solved your problem, feel free to accept my comment as solution!