Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

ALTMULT-ACCUM (Multiplier-accumulate) Alternative

Shainy
Beginner

Hi all,

I'm a newbie, using Quartus Prime Lite 18.1, and my device is of Cyclone V family. I need to build a multiplier-accumulator, and learnt that the IP catalog consists of an arithmetic megafunction; ALTMULT-ACCUM. But when referring to the 'Integer Arithmetic Megafunctions User Guide' it mentions that Quartus Prime 13.1 upwards do not support this megafunction for cyclone V, instead use ALTMULT_ADD (Mulitply- Adder). But, when I try to use this function on Quartus, it says that this is not supported for cyclone V anymore. I'd like to know if there is any alternative that I could use or if there is a way to create a megafunction or a way to get around this issue. Hoping someone could help me in figuring this out. Thanks in advance!!

Best Regards,

Shainy

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Nurina
Employee

Hi Shainy,

You're using the wrong IP. You should be using ALTERA_MULT_ADD, you can refer to this document: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_lpm_alt_mfug.pdf#page=36

Prior to Quartus II v14.0, these IP cores were called Megafunctions and used MegaWizard Plug-In to be generated into the design. Starting from Quartus II v14.0, they're referred to as IP, and you are required to use IP catalog to generate them. Although it's been a long time since Quartus v14.0, for Cyclone V devices, the MegaWizard Plug-In will be prompted to select the parameters after you have selected the Arithmatic IP core on IP catalog.

Regards,

Nurina

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Nurina
Employee

Hi Shainy,

You're using the wrong IP. You should be using ALTERA_MULT_ADD, you can refer to this document: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_lpm_alt_mfug.pdf#page=36

Prior to Quartus II v14.0, these IP cores were called Megafunctions and used MegaWizard Plug-In to be generated into the design. Starting from Quartus II v14.0, they're referred to as IP, and you are required to use IP catalog to generate them. Although it's been a long time since Quartus v14.0, for Cyclone V devices, the MegaWizard Plug-In will be prompted to select the parameters after you have selected the Arithmatic IP core on IP catalog.

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
Shainy
Beginner

Hi Nurina,

Thank you so much for the guidance! I'll refer to the document given above. Thanks again!

Best Regards,

Shainy

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi Shainy,

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Regards,
Nurina

P/S: If you like my comment, feel free to give Kudos. If my comment solved your problem, feel free to accept my comment as solution!

0 Kudos