Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

ALTSHIFT_TAPS Usage

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Using the ALTSHIFT_TAPS with MLABS selected for the Cyclone V it looks like you get an output every three clocks since that is the minimum distance between taps. How about getting an output every clock AND without using a clock*3 for the ALTSHIFT_TAPS megafunction. Is there a way to get an output at every tap say by using some primitives along with the ALTSHIFT_TAPS. I don't want to clock it at 3 times the clock because now one has to be concerned with clock domains. Anyone know if it can be done?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Using the ALTSHIFT_TAPS with MLABS selected for the Cyclone V it looks like you get an output every three clocks since that is the minimum distance between taps. How about getting an output every clock AND without using a clock*3 for the ALTSHIFT_TAPS megafunction. Is there a way to get an output at every tap say by using some primitives along with the ALTSHIFT_TAPS. I don't want to clock it at 3 times the clock because now one has to be concerned with clock domains. Anyone know if it can be done? 

--- Quote End ---  

I don't think you can if the core does not support taps every stage.  

Multiply clock by 3 is not a problem if your clock is in phase and tied up to your system clock.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Rather than adhering to ALTSHIFT_TAPS, there are probably many ways to achieve what you want with a combination of internal RAM and registers. But what do you want to achieve exactly?

0 Kudos