Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Altera Generic QUAD SPI controller Compatible Devices

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I would like to use the altera generic quad spi controller in my qsys design, and most of the drop down menu options for Config device types are obsolete. Can I use any of the SPI FLash memory that are available on Digikey/Mouser other than the ones that listed in the dropdown menu?? 

Thanks, 

Shan
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Providing the device you select supports the same instructions as a supported device, yes, you should be fine. Generally the newer parts do support the same instructions (and possibly more) and support higher operating speeds. However, it'll be down to you to check the device you select. 

You could post a device suggestion here and someone may say whether they've had success with that specific part... 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

after several attempts with different flash chips I found that the flashes of the new Micron family with code MT25QL128ABA8ESF and MT25QL256ABA8E12 work even though I have set the component Altera Generic Quad SPI Controller with the flash N25Q128A13ESF40 and N25Q256A13ESF40 respectively. 

Probably because the operations code are identical between the two family of flashes (at least in basic operations). 

These flashes are available on Avnet and Digikey. 

Regards, 

Perryiavo.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

i've been having trouble interfacing with the generic quad spi controller,one of my outputs is constantly high Z. 

i'd like to know if you came across such a problem? 

if you did,how did you deal with it? 

if not,so you have any sugestions for how to solve this problem? 

Thank you,Or.
0 Kudos