Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

Altera OpenCL SDK License issue

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I recently got a license from Altera for a Stratix V machine. The board name is de5net_a7. 

I have set the following environment variables 

ALTERAOCLSDKROOT, LM_LICENSE_FILE, AOCL_BOARD_PACKAGE_ROOT and added the binary and library paths to PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH. 

If I try to run the hello world example, I get the error "Error: aoc: Can't find a valid license for the Altera SDK for OpenCL". 

I have looked at other discussions regarding this in the forum, and found a page which says in Section 3 that the license file should be generated with a MAC address for eth0 only, and not other interfaces. The post is old, so I was wondering if this is still the case. ifconfig on my machine shows enp3s0f0 which has a MAC address for ether. 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46355 

I also found another page which says this issue will be resolved in a future Quartus II release. 

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd06112013_373.tablet.html 

Is there anything else that I need to do. 

Also, will this work if the license says Quartus Prime Pro Fixed, when I have a Stratix V. My understanding was that this supports only Arria 10 devices. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Yes, you still need a eth0 connection. I was able to add a tuntap interface named eth0. From what I understand everything sent to eth0 is simly sent to your regular connection. This is how to do it: 

sudo ip tuntap add dev eth0 mode tap 

Then you need to set the MAC address to the MAC address used by your license: 

sudo ip link set dev eth0 address <your mac address> 

For me the MAC for eth0 needs to be the same as for the enpX connection. I basically put this in a script to setup a tuntap interface with the right MAC address: 

if then sudo ip tuntap add dev eth0 mode tap export link=$(find /sys/class/net -printf "%f\n" | grep enp) export mac=$(ip link show $link | awk '/ether/ {print$2}') sudo ip link set dev eth0 address $mac fi  

Then just check that eth0 shows up with the right MAC address: 

ip link show 

Hope that helps!
0 Kudos