Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

Altera USB-Blaster Driver Installation Issue

MacGray
Beginner

I am using Quartus Prime Programmer, and in the section that is supposed to detect hardware, my USB-Blaster was not registering. I then went to install the drivers for this device but found that it was not able to install it.

I searched the web and found some people were having issues due to the 'hashing issues' but my error message is much different. 

I am giving device manager update driver the path: 'C:\intelFPGA_pro\21.2\quartus\drivers\usb-blaster' and getting the following error message.

MacGray_0-1627679941820.png

The model I am using is the USB BLASTER Rev. C from Altera. The user guide is from 2006 and I wasn't able to find this issue anywhere online. I am not sure where to start. 

Please let me know if there is any more info needed to help me.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Intel community.

That might be due to issue with USB Blaster. Kindly follow the workaround in KDB below (it is also applicable for USB Blaster):

https://www.intel.com/content/altera-www/global/en_us/index/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/tools/2021/why-does-the-intel--fpga-download-cable-ii-driver-installation-f.html

Thanks.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
MacGray
Beginner

Thanks for the quick response!

I looked over that support thread and found out that indeed my certificate expired '6/17/2021'. However, I do not see the error message of 'this ticket is expired or is not yet valid'.

MacGray_0-1627949322092.png

I tried using the link provided in the thread to update the driver but it was only for the usb-blaster-ii when I need the normal one. I could not find any updated drivers anywhere online. Is there somewhere I could look to find them?

Thanks

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

As mentioned in my previous reply, the driver also applicable for USB Blaster.

Kindly follow the workaround in the KDB.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
MacGray
Beginner

I tried using the KDB workaround by replacing the usbblaster.cat with the usbblasterii.cat because 'the driver is also applicable for the USB Blaster' and things got worse. Below is an image of it now not even finding the correct driver. I am not sure I understand how the driver could be applicable if it is not not even finding it? Are there any other work arounds because it seems like the KDB workaround did not fix anything.

MacGray_0-1628021828283.png

MacGray_1-1628021860530.png

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Apologize for the inconveniences. What is the Quartus version that was used?

In the mean time, please try the workaround in the KDB below:

https://www.intel.com/content/altera-www/global/en_us/index/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/tools/2021/why-does-the-intel--fpga-download-cables-drivers-installation-fa.html

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos