Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Altera Usb Blaster

Samet
Beginner

Hello

I cannot communicate with USB Blaster via Quartus II Software.

I am trying to read Altera EMP7032SLC44-10 IC software. I need to get the software from inside the IC.

I am connection to Altera with USB Blaster, but I could not find where I am wrong. I attached the pictures. Can you help me?

0 Kudos
23 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi, it seems like the USB Blaster is not connected properly to the device. Are you hardwired that way? Do you have property connector for USB Blaster?

0 Kudos
Samet
Beginner

Hello,

directly connected TMS, TDI, TDO, TCK, VCC, GND ends for EPM7032SLC44-10.

Integrated communication pins look like this. There is no separate apparatus for USB Blaster. I connected the USB Blaster outputs directly to the integrated. Note: I saw a statement in the forum that the certificate date for USB Blaster must be up to date. Could it be because of the Quartus not communicating with the Blaster?

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Samet,

Certificates expiry affects Blaster Driver installation. If you have already installed the driver, it should n't be the problem.

It would be better to connect to a 10 header pin.

Take a look at the USB Blaster connection, you need 10 pin for that.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_usb_blstr.pdf (Page 4)

Regards,

Bruce

0 Kudos
Samet
Beginner
I can not find a driver with a new certificate. It does not accept usbblasterI or usbblasterII certified drivers in the quartus directory. does not load. I think blaster cannot read my IC because there is no device library in quartus. If I give you an email address or whatsapp number, can you make the necessary installation to my computer by connecting remotely?
0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Sorry it is not possible. We support via forum platform only.

I think your USB Blaster is installed successfully as you are able to detect USB Blaster in Quartus Programmer as per the photo attached. I think the problem is on the hardwired connection between USB Blaster & FPGA Device.

Can you try with the JTAG Chain Debugging? It should show you the error message and root cause.

0 Kudos
Samet
Beginner
Hello,

I think I made the IC connection correctly. I connected the TMS, TCK, TDO and TDI connections from the blaster. I made the voltage connection on the blaster. but there is a situation that makes me think. I saw it while researching on the forums. Can the JTAG outputs be disabled when first programming this IC? Or can the IC be encrypted? Is there a status of being protected against reading?
0 Kudos
Samet
Beginner
jtag connection error persists. JTAG connectors are correct for IC connection but gives jtag connection error on quartus. Could you please help me in more detail? I have to make this IC.
0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Yes, you may enable design security for that. Please refer to link below for more information about that.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/an/an556.pdf

0 Kudos
Samet
Beginner

Hello,

I don't know how to use the method you showed. can you help more clear? Are TDI, TDO, TMS, TCK connections enough for Altera EPM7032SLC44-10 IC? Do I also need to connect VCC and GND?

Why is it giving JTAG Connection ERROR?

How and where to write commands in the quartus program to enable JTAG connectors. I want to backup the software in the IC.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

What is the issue now? Are you able to program the device with USB Blaster after the connection fixed as mentioned by you previously?

If programming issue is still happening, may i know what is the error message you obtained?

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

As mentioned previously, can you try with the JTAG Chain Debugging? It should show you the error message and root cause.

I suspected that the connection to the pin using the wire is the issue. The JTAG Chain Debugging will tell you the exact issue on connection such as short / open pin.

0 Kudos
Samet
Beginner
Hello

First of all, I want to ask.
1) Is adapter or reader required for communication other than Usb Blaster for EPM7032SLC44-10?
2) I am giving external 5V but it gives no chain jtag error in Quartus program. No device detected error.
3) How do I make which adapter or connection to activate EPM7032SLC44-10 communication ends? How to make connection details for IC or communication information of IC?
0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Samet,

Please find my response below:

1) Is adapter or reader required for communication other than Usb Blaster for EPM7032SLC44-10?

It depends on what you are going to do with adapter or reader with the EPM7032. If for programming purposes, you may use USB Blaster.

2) I am giving external 5V but it gives no chain jtag error in Quartus program. No device detected error.

So I am assuming it has no problem now? Because you mentioned that you had JTAG connection error on quartus? I am confused. Can you please clarify?

3) How do I make which adapter or connection to activate EPM7032SLC44-10 communication ends? How to make connection details for IC or communication information of IC?

May I know what communication you are referring to? Sending data from 1 device to EPM7032?

Thank You.

Regards,

Bruce

0 Kudos
Samet
Beginner
Hello Sir.

It is necessary to give extra power for the usb blaster. After connecting target power, I did IC auto detect and saw the IC on quartus. (blank IC). this is what I want to do; I want to read the software of the IC that I removed from the device. but IC jtag ports are disabled. Is there a method to enable jtag ports?
0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank for the clarification. It seems like power supply is the issue for this.

This is what I want to do; I want to read the software of the IC that I removed from the device.

May i know which software are you referring to? Are you referring to image file in FPGA? Please clarify.

but IC jtag ports are disabled. Is there a method to enable jtag ports?

Which IC JTAG Port are disabled? I dont get it. Now your FPGA is able to be detected by USB Blaster after you have provided sufficient power voltage. You should be able to program image file such as SOF, JIC into the device already.

0 Kudos
Samet
Beginner
Hello, ALTERA EPM7032SLC44-10 IC disabled. I am running this IC with byteblaster II. If we can enable communication channels, I want to get the (pof) file or image file in it. How can we enable the EPM7032SLC44-10 IC disabled and read the image file in it?
0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I am not sure what do you mean by enable communication channels. I think once you are able to program the FPGA using byteblaster II, the JTAG connection between FPGA and byteblaster is already enabled.

Also, regarding to image file read back. You may use Quartus Programmer to read back a Programer Object File (.pof).

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd08192010_758.html

Regards,

Bruce

0 Kudos
Samet
Beginner
Hello,

Let me explain the subject as follows. I can see the EPM7032S empty IC from the quartus program with Byteblaster. I can not see it from quartus with EPM7032S byteblaster that I removed from my device. because JTAG communication is locked. When I auto detect the programmed IC with the quartus program, it gives the device not found error. The fuse has to be blown for jtag communication of the programmed IC. then I can communicate with the IC. I can get the pof file in it. Doesn't see JTAG link after IC is programmed.
0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

I can see the EPM7032S empty IC from the quartus program with Byteblaster. I can not see it from quartus with EPM7032S byteblaster that I removed from my device. because JTAG communication is locked. 

I am deeply confused. You can detect device with Quartus Programmer and then you cant detect device with Quartus Programmer? Are you saying this?

When I auto detect the programmed IC with the quartus program, it gives the device not found error.

So now you can detect the IC but it gives you error? So which scenario are you saying? There are 3 different scenario. Which 1 is true. Or my understanding is not correct?

The fuse has to be blown for jtag communication of the programmed IC.

Once the fuse is blown, you cant detect FPGA using Quartus Programmer already. Thus I dont see it is valid in this point.

then I can communicate with the IC. I can get the pof file in it. Doesn't see JTAG link after IC is programmed.

Based on my understanding after several times of reading, it seems like you have blown the fuse and thus you cant detect the FPGA using Quartus Programmer. If this understand is correct, then i think what you have seen is valid.

0 Kudos
Samet
Beginner
Hello, Yuanli S, No, you misunderstood me.
1) There are 2 ICs. one is blank (new). one is programmed (inside the electronic device).
2) The software of the EPM7032SLC44-10 IC in the electronic device has been damaged. therefore the device does not work.
3) I have another replacement from the same product. I want to get the pof file from the IC in the solid product. copying this to the new IC to burn.
4) But the IC inside the working product is encrypted. ie JTAG ports are protected, so the IC does not appear in the quartus program. (When I do Auto detect it gives the error IC not found).
5) I want to read this IC in quartus program and get the pof file in it. I saw an explanation as follows in my research. After the manufacturer firm installs the pof software on these ICs, they can lock the jtag port of the IC so that it is not copied by someone else.
6) How can I see the IC with software inside? I want support on this.
0 Kudos