Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Any hope of a Windows 11 ARM driver for USB Blaster?

JetForMe
New Contributor I

I'm running Windows 11 on ARM. Quartus 22.1 and the terasIC apps Control Panel and System Builder run, but the Altera USB Blaster driver won't install, because it's x86 only, and Windows on ARM requires drivers to be ARM.

The driver itself is just rebranded FTDI, and FTDI has certified drivers for Windows 11 on ARM. It should be trivial to get a new version of Intel’s, but I have no idea where to ask for this, other than here.

28 Replies
hareesh
Employee

Hi,

go through the bellow article. you will get idea on OS support details to cables and adapter driver

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/support-resources/download/dri-index.html

Thanks,

0 Kudos
JetForMe
New Contributor I

That page has no drivers for Windows 11 or arm64. It also doesn't expressly say "USB Blaster" anywhere, so I don't know if that product has been renamed, or what.

On the DE0-Nano board I have, the documentation says it has a "USB Blaster" built-in. This is an FTDI FT245D chip, and it uses FTDI drivers, but has some customizations for matching a different vendor and product ID, so the standard downloadable driver from FTDI won't work correctly.

What options do I have?

hareesh
Employee

Hi,

Quartus can support up to windows10 only. it's not support windows11.

for the reference check bellow one. they shared some steps for windows11 but we are not sure it will or not.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Programmable-Devices/USB-Blaster-for-Windows-11/td-p/1422131

0 Kudos
JetForMe
New Contributor I

Yeah, I tried those steps. Doesn't work. The driver needs to be arm64.

You guys need to update Quartus to just use the standard FTDI drivers. You can use API calls in their library to find devices with your vendor and product IDs, no need to ship a specialized driver. And since you're already using the FTDI driver anyway, the change should be trivial, something that could be in the next maintenance release of Quartus.

0 Kudos
hareesh
Employee

Hi,

Already engineering team working it. in next release it can support all type of OS's.

if you don't have any queries i will close this case. please conform

Thanks,

0 Kudos
JetForMe
New Contributor I

Do you know when that will be released?

0 Kudos
hareesh
Employee

sorry we don't know about that details. mostly i think 2023 first or second month will be release.

0 Kudos
JetForMe
New Contributor I

Hopefully soon. Is there any way to use Quartus to generate files that I can download with openocd?

0 Kudos
hareesh
Employee

hi,

i didn't find any information related to your query. bellow i am sharing one article, not sure it helpful or not.

https://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/NiosVEclipseSetup

0 Kudos
JetForMe
New Contributor I

Hmm, that seems to be for debugging a Nios V processor core on Intel FPGAs. I don't see anything in the steps that shows loading the Nios V core onto the FPGA, just debugging code running on the core.

0 Kudos
hareesh
Employee

yaaa, that information i didn't find any ware. if possible try to use Quartus in windows10. next release of Quartus can support to Windows11.

i think it's better using windows10 to your issue.

if you don't have any issues about this i will close this case. please conform.

0 Kudos
JetForMe
New Contributor I

Unfortunately that's not possible. I have an arm64 computer, and so I have to run Windows on arm64, and the only Windows that supports that is Windows 11.

Windows 11 was released more than a year ago  (Oct 2021). Developer previews have been available since December of 2019, three years ago. Intel is a large corporation with ample resources, and Quartus clearly has regular updates. Moreover, it's technically possible and even easier for Quartus developers to use the standard FTDI drivers for USB Blaster devices. There's really no excuse for such a long delay in this support. This obstacle makes other FPGA vendors more attractive.

Anhxizer
Beginner

Same here. When will an USB Blaster driver for Windows on ARM / Apple Silicon available?

0 Kudos
hareesh
Employee

Dear customer,

Due to the nature of the issue, this bug/issue is currently in the lower priority list for Intel to fix. We apologize for any inconvenience. Given this, is there any way you could proceed and let me know how I can help?

​you need to wait until new release then only you can use on windows11. right now beta testing is going.

Regards,

Hareesh B.

0 Kudos
JetForMe
New Contributor I

Can I be part of the beta?

0 Kudos
hareesh
Employee

As we do not receive any response from you on the previous question/reply/answer that we have provided. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

0 Kudos
JetForMe
New Contributor I

I asked if I could be a part of the beta.

0 Kudos
hareesh
Employee

i am not sure. i need to ask my manager is it possible or not.

0 Kudos
JetForMe
New Contributor I

Thank you. I think I'd be a good test case (Windows 11 ARM in Parallels on a Mac). This is not mission-critical (at least, not yet), so I can afford to have issues.

0 Kudos
hareesh
Employee

Hi,

already we have early access customers.

Actually we don't know how to get early access customer. because we rarely got customer requested for this.

i need some more time to know the process of getting early access customer.

Thanks,

Hareesh B.

0 Kudos