Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16601 Discussions

Arria10GX aocl diagnose failed

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I'm using aocl 17.0.0.290 on Windows10 with Arria 10 GX kit. 

I configured the board according to the menu (https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/an/an807.pdf) and everything went well, hard reboot after the boardtest.aocx flash set,  

aocl install successfully, reboot and diagnose, and it failed:(: 

aocl diagnose: Running diagnose from C:\intelFPGA_pro\17.0\hld\board\a10_ref/windows64/libexec aocl diagnose: failed 32 times. First error below: Unable to open the kernel mode driver. Please make sure you have properly installed the driver. To install the driver, run aocl install DIAGNOSTIC_FAILED 

I reinstall and reboot several times but the result was the same. 

Here's the install output log: 

aocl install: Running install from C:\intelFPGA_pro\17.0\hld\board\a10_ref/windows64/libexec +------------------------------------------------------+ + Performing initial checks... + +------------------------------------------------------+ +------------------------------------------------------+ + Installing kernel driver module... + +------------------------------------------------------+ WDREG utility v10.21. Build Aug 31 2010 14:21:54 Processing HWID *WINDRVR6 Installing a signed driver package for *WINDRVR6 CM_Get_DevNode_Status ret value 0, status 1802401, problem 1c LOG ok: 1, ENTER: DriverPackageInstallA LOG ok: 1, ENTER: DriverPackageInstallW LOG ok: 1, Looking for Model Section ... LOG ok: 1, RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW (0xE000024B) LOG ok: 1, RETURN: DriverPackageInstallA (0xE000024B) difx_install_preinstall_inf: err e000024b, last event 0, last error 0. UNKNOWN install: completed successfully +------------------------------------------------------+ + Installing board drivers... + +------------------------------------------------------+ WDREG utility v10.21. Build Aug 31 2010 14:21:54 Processing HWID PCI\VEN_1172&DEV_2494&SUBSYS_A1511172&REV_01 Installing a non-signed driver package for PCI\VEN_1172&DEV_2494&SUBSYS_A1511172&REV_01 Device node (hwid:PCI\VEN_1172&DEV_2494&SUBSYS_A1511172&REV_01): exists and is configured. Installing. CM_Get_DevNode_Status ret value 0, status 1802400, problem 1c LOG ok: 1, ENTER: DriverPackageInstallA LOG ok: 1, ENTER: DriverPackageInstallW LOG ok: 2, DRIVER_PACKAGE_LEGACY_MODE flag set but not supported on Plug and Play driver on VISTA. Flag will be ignored. LOG ok: 1, Looking for Model Section ... LOG ok: 1, RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW (0xE000022F) LOG ok: 1, RETURN: DriverPackageInstallA (0xE000022F) difx_install_preinstall_inf: err e000022f, last event 0, last error 0. UNKNOWN install: completed successfully +------------------------------------------------------+ + ****** SUCCESS! Please reboot your system + +------------------------------------------------------+ 

I read about similar problems and check the environment variables but still can't find the problem. 

Any help with solving this problem? Thanks! 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------update 

Well, the error message changed after I disable driver signature and install it: 

aocl diagnose: Running diagnose from C:\intelFPGA_pro\17.0\hld\board\a10_ref/windows64/libexecaocl diagnose: failed 32 times. First error below: Vendor: Intel(R) Corporation MMD INFO : PCIe-to-fabric read test failed, read 0xffffffff after 1 attempts Phys Dev Name Status Information acla10_ref0 Failed Board name not available. Failed initial tests, so not working as expected. Please try again after reprogramming the device. Found no active device installed on the host machine. Please make sure to: 1. Set the environment variable AOCL_BOARD_PACKAGE_ROOT to the correct board package. 2. Install the driver from the selected board package. 3. Properly install the device in the host machine. 4. Configure the device with a supported OpenCL design. 5. Reboot the machine if the PCI Express link failed. DIAGNOSTIC_FAILED 

I'll run everything through again...
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok after more then 10 times of reinstall, reboot, program flash memory... finally found the problem. 

I'm using windows10 which enforce driver signature verification, so I disable it by entering the test mode.  

But that's not enough, for some reason it only allowed you to install kernel driver module but not the board driver. I have to use the Advanced Boot Option to disable driver signature verification, then when installing board driver it will ask you twice if you want to install non-signature driver.  

Technically not Altera's problem, and they did tell you to disable driver signature verification on this page (https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/fb321729.html), but the message return 0 error and install successfully is quite misleading..
0 Kudos