Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Arriv 10 vs cyclone V for OpenCL

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hellow. I am beginner of the OpenCL. So I select the proper device for OpenCL. 

My boss want to use the arria 10 board. Because nowdays many people are use this device. 

But when I research the opencl demo or running example, many engineer use the Cyclone V SOC board. 

Why the Cyclone V are used more than arria 10?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Because a Cyclone V board costs 50 times less than an Arria 10 one. 

If you just want to get started with OpenCL, and you don't particularly need to use FPGAs, it is best if you just get started using a standard CPU or GPU. OpenCL on FPGAs is not aimed at beginners.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear HRZ. Your advice is best for me everytime :) 

Actually for just test I use the OpenCL by using the CPU or GPU. But I am a hardware engineer. If I have a chance, I will make something using OpenCL. That is why I willl buy the board. 

I am interesting in image porcessing. Because OpenCL just use for calculation of some vector, I don't need to the board exceed Cyclone V. And many guys use the Cyclone V board form terassic. 

If I buy the Cyclone V Soc board,is it enough to use hardware resource?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

@kangchusuk, if you are sure that the limited hardware resources available on Cyclone V is enough for you, then the Cyclone V board from Terasic should work just fine. Check the pages zxustc mentioned and decide how much logic you need. You can also consider buying a Stratix V board if you think Cyclone V is not enough, but Arria 10 is too much.

0 Kudos