Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16595 Discussions

Auto detect errors on Max 10 device

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I would like to use Quartus II 17.1 to do the JTAG programming on MAX 10 Device - 10M08SCU169. 

I have discovered a problem with the error messages - "Unable to scan device chain. Can't scan JTAG chain." when I was clicking on "Auto Detect" button. The USB Blaster seems to be working correct as the Blue LED is powered ON when I was clicking on "Auto Detect" button. Next, I have opened the JTAG Chain Debugger to trouble the JTAG chain and there are 2 errors prompted on session log. See attached.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

1.ensure Blaster is correctly connected.TDO is not connected properly, a noisy TCK signal, or TDI shorted to GND 

2.Check your board power supply are powered properly and also Check the voltage seen on the pins of the JTAG header to see if they are at appropriate levels. The download cable is powered by the board, so ensure your board is properly powered. 

3.Ensure you blaster is working fine. 

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd03312011_647.html 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My DECA board (also utilizing a MAX10) only works when I directly connect it to the computer's USB port and refuses programming on a (powered) hub. 

Maybe worth a try.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Maybe HUB degrades the voltage requirement for jtag. 

Probe the signal and check the voltages for both cases and find out the problem. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos