Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16593 Discussions

Bit memorisation in if statement

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

First i'm sorry because i'm french, so my english may be bad. 

My project consists to control many servo-motors via the DE0 Nano Board via UART. 

In order to do that, i send serial data via a terminal like "100,120,80,200". There are 4 servos, 4 commands which are separated by commas, a character which is recognized like a separator to attribute the right value (pulse width) to the right servo via a counter incrementation. 

For this separator, i've made a "block state" to not attribute the value of the "," character on my servo and wait the next value in my RX buffer. 

My code will talks better than me : 

sel_servo: process (reset_n, rx_buffer(d_width DOWNTO 1), clk, compteur) begin if (reset_n = '0' OR compteur > 3) then compteur <= 0; elsif (clk'EVENT AND clk = '1') then if((rx_buffer(d_width DOWNTO 1) = "00101100") and block_state = '1') then compteur <= compteur + 1; block_state <= '0'; else compteur <= compteur; block_state <= block_state; blockstate <= block_state; -- just watch the bit on LEDs end if; case compteur is when 0 => if block_state = '0' and (rx_buffer(d_width DOWNTO 1) /= "00101100") then -- "00101100" is the binary value for comma character block_state <= '1'; posiS0 <= rx_buffer(d_width DOWNTO 1); pwmiS0 <= unsigned('0' & posiS0 ) + 64; end if; when 1 => if block_state = '0' and (rx_buffer(d_width DOWNTO 1) /= "00101100") then -- the "compteur" value represents the servo block_state <= '1'; posiS1 <= rx_buffer(d_width DOWNTO 1); pwmiS1 <= unsigned('0' & posiS1 ) + 64; end if; when 2 => if block_state = '0' and (rx_buffer(d_width DOWNTO 1) /= "00101100") then block_state <= '1'; posiS2 <= rx_buffer(d_width DOWNTO 1); pwmiS2 <= unsigned('0' & posiS2 ) + 64; end if; when 3 => if block_state = '0' and (rx_buffer(d_width DOWNTO 1) /= "00101100") then block_state <= '1'; posiS3 <= rx_buffer(d_width DOWNTO 1); pwmiS3 <= unsigned('0' & posiS3 ) + 64; end if; when 4 => compteur <= 0; end case; end if; end process;  

This code compiles successfully. 

My problem is that the "block_state" bit seems falls when i send a comma, but rises after immediatly. It didn't memorised his state, and i try a lot of different way but i didn't find any issues. 

I hope i was clear in this description of my problem. 

Thanks you !
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you written a test bench? have you simulated the design?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, I usually use GTKWave but it's not the easiest way to simulate... So I visualize all my signal with oscilloscope. Have you seen any problem in my code?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Looking at other people's code is never very easy without the whole code and a testbench and some time. But then its usually much easier to debug it yourself. Altera provide modelsim for free. Have you tried using that? 

Notes on your code: 

if((rx_buffer(d_width DOWNTO 1) = "00101100") and block_state = '1') then compteur <= compteur + 1; block_state <= '0'; else  

If d_width is NOT 8, then this statement will always be FALSE. Comparing two vectors of different lengths always returns false without any warnings. The same with the /= comparisons. If DWIDTH /= 8 then all of the /= compares will always be TRUE.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Of course I understand that it's not easy to debug it for you. I will try to simulate this tomorrow, I also tried modelsim, but it doesn't work because of some bugs, that's why I use GTKWave. 

D_width value is 8, and the value of "compteur" is incremented like expected (I've also checked that with some leds in the board).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What bugs? in your code? why not fix them?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Not in my code, in modelsim, I have tried it a few months ago when I've begun Fpga development, but it didn't work. It's a bug which seems come from my OS system, but don't worry about that. I will be back with the simulation and test bench tomorrow (in France, it's already 11 p.m !). 

Thanks you for your answers.
0 Kudos