Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16602 Discussions

Bitstream encryption cannot be enabled (Stratix10)

LVEZI
Beginner

Hi,

I am following this user guide : https://www.intel.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_US/pdfs/literature/hb/stratix-10/ug-s10-security.pdf

I can't turn on option as explained in the chapter "6.1.1. Step 1: Preparing the Owner Image and AES Key File", it is still grayed out as shown in screenshot below...

Stx10_encryption.png

I tried with Quartus Linux 19.1 and 19.2

Can somebody help?

Loic

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LVEZI
Beginner

> The encryption option becomes available as soon as I select the device 1SG280HH2F55E2VGAS instead of 1SG280HH2F55E2VG

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee
Hello Welcome to INTEL forum. May I know, are changing device solve your issue.
0 Kudos
LVEZI
Beginner

Hello,

As I said, changing the device allows me to check the option.

Nevertheless, it doesn't allow me to use bitstream encryption with my board as I cannot change the device physically...

I don't understand why there is no information on Intel website nor Stratix10 documentation about this limitation.

If I refer to this page : https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/programmable/fpga/stratix-10/features.html

"The Intel® Stratix® 10 device family introduces a new Secure Device Manager (SDM) available in all densities and device family variants."

Loic.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee
Hi LVEZI, apologize that i dont understand the scenario, may i seek for more clarification? Are you saying that when you change the device from 1SG280HH2F55E2VG to 1SG280HH2F55E2VGAS, you are able to allocate the "Quartus Key File" but not able to enable "Enable Programming Bitstream Encryption" and select "Encryption Key Select"? Also, may i know, have you perform steps 3 first before steps 6? Please clarify. Thank You.
0 Kudos
LVEZI
Beginner

Hi,

No

Encryption is only available for "AS" devices. I don't have one of this on my board so I can't use encryption, that's all.

You can't do anything more as the limitation is due to the hardware. This is a mistake done when the device has been ordered due to a lack of information from Intel.

Regards

Loic

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee
Hello We apologies for the difficulty happen, as I check the Stratix 10 user guide it mentions that security features are available in Intel Stratix 10 devices that support advanced security (AS). https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/stratix-10/ug-s10-security.pdf#page=5
0 Kudos
LVEZI
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

You are right, this info is given in this User Guide (written in May 2019).

Nevertheless, our FPGAs have been ordered and received in 2018. At this time, nobody informed us that they will not support bitstream encryption. In addition, still today, product table is saying that it is supported for all devices...

I think you can close this topic now as you will not be able to help us anymore.

Best regards

Loic

0 Kudos