Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

Board Test System error "FPGA is not detected in the Jtag Chain"

SYosh17
Novice

Hi,

I have Cyclone 10 GX FPGA Development Kit and want to use Board Test System according to the Intel Cyclone 10 GX FPGA Development Kit User Guide.

However, they did not work with error “FPGA is not detected in the Jtag Chain.”.

The result of jtagconfig is below.

C:\Users\user>jtagconfig 1) USB-BlasterII [USB-1] 031820DD 10M08SA(.|ES)/10M08SC 02E120DD !   Captured DR after reset = (0063041BB02E120DD) [65] Captured IR after reset = (0AAD55) [21] Captured Bypass after reset = (2) [3] Captured Bypass chain = (2) [3] JTAG clock speed 24 MHz

Could you tell me how to avoid this error?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Welcome to INTEL forum. Could you try reduce the JTAG clock speed to 6 MHz and try it back.

0 Kudos
SYosh17
Novice

Thank you for your reply.

I changed the JTAG clock, however it did not work.

The result of jtagconfig is below.

C:\Users\user>jtagconfig --setparam 1 JtagClock 6M   C:\Users\user>jtagconfig 1) USB-BlasterII [USB-1] 031820DD 10M08SA(.|ES)/10M08SC 02E120DD !   Captured DR after reset = (0063041BB02E120DD) [65] Captured IR after reset = (0AAD55) [21] Captured Bypass after reset = (2) [3] Captured Bypass chain = (2) [3] JTAG clock speed 6 MHz

Would you mind helping me?

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

If you see the similar issue ! warning as above [open Nios II prompt Command, and execute command "jtagconfig".], it probably the windows issue.

Solution:

Open Quartus / Quartus Programmer as Run as Administrator. This should help you to detect the device.

Thanks

0 Kudos
SYosh17
Novice

Thank you for your reply.

Before performing the following, I opened quartus prime pro as administrator.

I tried running the Cyclone X Board Test System as administrator, but it still did not work. The error is also still “FPGA is not detected in the Jtag Chain.”.

I also tried running jtagconfig command as administrator, the result is same as the one I posted last time.

Could you tell me how to solve this error?

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Could you try this sequence:

1. restart PC, 2.run Programmer as administrator, 3. open nios II command prompt (not admistrator). 4. jtagconfig

0 Kudos
SYosh17
Novice

Thank you for your replay.

I tried suggested sequence and it works!

I also tried to run Board Test System as administrator after lunch Programmer.

The board test system started successfully.

However, executing "Compose with GPIO / FLASH design" failed.

exeption.png

I found some error in the “bts_log.txt”. I attached the file.

1 21, 2020 10:05:08 AM com.intel.bts.VersionSelector readInifile Error: java.io.FileNotFoundException: bts.ini 1 21, 2020 10:05:21 AM com.intel.bts.SysConService <init> Error: java.io.IOException: Get master service paths failed! Device: "/devices/10CX220Y@2#USB-1" Type:

Could you please tell me how to configure using board test system.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Sir

May i know which Quartus version you use?

0 Kudos
SYosh17
Novice

I use Quartus Prime pro 19.3.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

May I know, have you tried BTS test with Quartus Prime Pro 17.1. The manufactured board’s BTS was built with Quartus Prime Pro 17.1. Possibly the error it is caused by the difference in system console of different Quartus revisions. It is suggested to use the right Quartus version with the right dev.kit version.

Refer to link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/products/boards_and_kits/dev-kits/altera/cyclone-10-gx-development-kit.html

0 Kudos
SYosh17
Novice

I cleanly installed Windows 10 and Quartus Prime Pro 17.1

Then, I was able to configure with Board Test System.

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Thanks for your feedback and glad we could help.

0 Kudos