Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15478 Discussions

Can I change weak pull up status of a FPGA pin during runtime?

KAthu
Beginner

Hi,

I know that I can enable or disable weak pull ups in the project settings and create a bit stream.

But is there a way to change the weak pull up of a pin based on some logic during runtime? Is there a ip core which can support this?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

What are you trying to accomplish by doing this?

Some IP, like the external memory interface IP, automatically enable or disable termination (on-chip termination) whether performing reads or writes and do the same to the ODT for the external memory.

#iwork4intel

KAthu
Beginner

I am connecting the FPGA to an external micro-controller. And depending on the program I am running on the micro-controller, I need to enable weak pull ups on the fpga pins. (Using external pull ups is not an option for me.). My fpga design is the same for every program I run on the micro-controller. Using several muxes I implemented on the fpga, I can change the FPGA configuration for different programs during runtime.

Right now because of the pullups, I need to build several versions of the design. But if I can enable/disable pull ups using some IP during runtime, I can keep a single bitstream.

sstrell
Honored Contributor III

The only thing I can suggest is adding logic that looks at what program is running and pulls up the appropriate I/O based on that. Even partial reconfiguration, which is only supported on high-end devices, reconfigures the core of the design, not the I/O.

#iwork4intel

KAthu
Beginner

Thank you for your reply.

Do you know how to pull up the appropriate I/O based on logic? This is what I am trying to figure out.

I could only figure out how to pull up a I/O using pin panner. But then I have to compile it to create a new bit stream. If can pull up the appropriate I/O based on some logic then I only have to compile it once.

ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi KAthu,

Apparently, pull up the appropriate I/O based on logic is not possible.

You can only pull up it using Pin Planner or Pin assignment.

Thanks