Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Can you have non-altera devices in the Intel Quartus Prime Software JTAG Chain?

DThom28
Beginner

Hi,

We plan to use the USB Blaster in JTAG mode to program / Debug a MAXII (CPLD), Cyclone V FPGA and Arria V FPGA.  We have four other non-Altera devices in the JTAG Chain and our Production / Test JTAG programmer can see all the devices in the chain.  So, we know that the JTAG chains integrity is good.

The issue is with the USB Blaster in JTAG mode.  Since the MAXII CPLD is the first device in the chain I have no problem detecting and programming this device.  However, the Arria V and Cyclone V have non-Altera devices in front of them in the JTAG Chain and the USB Blaster reports that it "can't scan the device chain".  Indicating there is something wrong with the JTAG Chain.  Has anyone else encountered this issue?  If you can scan the JTAG chain with the USB Blaster with non-Altera devices does the Programmer allow you to bypass the non-Altera devices and program the Altera devices?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
bitwise
New Contributor I

​You can add other devices (non-Intel/Altera) through the programmer.  Open the programmer then select the "Add Device" button on the left side.  A dialogue should appear that allows you to pick from existing devices.  Use the "New" and/or "Import" buttons in that dialogue to add new devices.  Essentially the programmer needs to know the device's JTAG ID, instruction register length, and the name you want to give it.  Once you do that (assuming you get the JTAG ID right) the programmer will recognize the device and automatically issue a JTAG bypass instruction when it appears in a chain.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DThom28
Beginner

​I took a day to research this in-depth and I have answered my on questions.  The USB Blaster in JTAG mode using the Quartus Prime Programmer only allows Altera devices to be detected.  I didn't try but I don't think you can even load a non-Altera devices BSDL file and have the programmer to skip it.  I had to manually (in the Hardware using resistors) bypass the non-Altera devices in the JTAG Chain to get the Quartus Programmer to Auto-Detect the Altera devices. 

So, if you have a JTAG Chain with Altera and Non-Altera devices please add a convenient way (jumpers) to bypass and include devices. 

0 Kudos
bitwise
New Contributor I

​You can add other devices (non-Intel/Altera) through the programmer.  Open the programmer then select the "Add Device" button on the left side.  A dialogue should appear that allows you to pick from existing devices.  Use the "New" and/or "Import" buttons in that dialogue to add new devices.  Essentially the programmer needs to know the device's JTAG ID, instruction register length, and the name you want to give it.  Once you do that (assuming you get the JTAG ID right) the programmer will recognize the device and automatically issue a JTAG bypass instruction when it appears in a chain.

Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee
Thanks Craig Holmberg, this is the best way to add a non altera device to JTAG chain. Regards.
0 Kudos