Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Changed PERST# to 1.8V and Quartus crashed.

BrianM
New Contributor I

If you tell me I can't make PERST# 1.8V compatible, I'm going to have to rework my board.

Here is the dump from the code:

Problem Details
Error:
Internal Error: Sub-system: FIOMGR, File: /quartus/fitter/fiomgr/fiomgr_io_manager_impl.cpp, Line: 7696
result
Stack Trace:
    0xecc54: FIOMGR_IO_MANAGER_IMPL::set_voltage_of_the_bank_if_needed(FIOMGR_IO_BANK*, CDB_ATOM_NODE*) + 0x354 (fitter_fiomgr)
    0xed525: FIOMGR_IO_MANAGER_IMPL::body_legality_check(FITCC_MSGR*) + 0x575 (fitter_fiomgr)
    0x99db2: FIOMGR_IO_MANAGER::legality_check(FITCC_MSGR*) + 0xf2 (fitter_fiomgr)
    0x57110: FSV_EXPERT::create_and_initialize_utilities() const + 0x2c0 (fitter_fsv)
    0x58ca9: FSV_EXPERT::fitter_preparation_pre_fpp() + 0x649 (fitter_fsv)
    0x598a6: FSV_EXPERT::fitter_preparation() + 0x26 (fitter_fsv)
    0x4b5f2: FSV_EXPERT_BASE::fitter_preparation() const + 0x312 (fitter_fsv)
    0x4d7f0: FSV_EXPERT_BASE::invoke_fitter() const + 0xc80 (fitter_fsv)
    0x4812d: fsv_execute + 0x48d (fitter_fsv)
    0x22762: fmain_start(CMP_FACADE*) + 0x4a2 (fitter_fmain)
    0x23174: qfit_execute_fit(QCU_FRAMEWORK*, QFIT_FRAMEWORK*) + 0x1c4 (comp_qfit_legacy_flow)
    0x16fa6: QFIT_FRAMEWORK::execute() + 0x1b6 (comp_qfit_legacy_flow)
    0x3bb45: qfit_legacy_flow_run_legacy_fitter_flow + 0x515 (comp_qfit_legacy_flow)
    0x48109: TclInvokeStringCommand + 0x79 (tcl8.6)
    0x4c977: TclNRRunCallbacks + 0x47 (tcl8.6)
    0x4e1ca: TclEvalEx + 0x96a (tcl8.6)
    0xf68c6: Tcl_FSEvalFileEx + 0x266 (tcl8.6)
    0xf69ce: Tcl_EvalFile + 0x2e (tcl8.6)
    0x11a90: qexe_evaluate_tcl_script(std::string const&) + 0x3c9 (comp_qexe)
    0x1702d: qexe_do_tcl(QEXE_FRAMEWORK*, std::string const&, std::string const&, std::list<std::string, std::allocator<std::string> > const&, bool, bool) + 0x824 (comp_qexe)
    0x181d1: qexe_run_tcl_option(QEXE_FRAMEWORK*, char const*, std::list<std::string, std::allocator<std::string> >*, bool) + 0x640 (comp_qexe)
    0x38da5: qcu_run_tcl_option(QCU_FRAMEWORK*, char const*, std::list<std::string, std::allocator<std::string> >*, bool) + 0xe68 (comp_qcu)
    0x1adf5: qexe_standard_main(QEXE_FRAMEWORK*, QEXE_OPTION_DEFINITION const**, int, char const**) + 0x486 (comp_qexe)
     0x36f0: qfit2_main(int, char const**) + 0xd0 (quartus_fit)
    0x3ee20: msg_main_thread(void*) + 0x10 (ccl_msg)
     0x5abc: thr_final_wrapper + 0xc (ccl_thr)
    0x3eedf: msg_thread_wrapper(void* (*)(void*), void*) + 0x62 (ccl_msg)
     0x9f8c: mem_thread_wrapper(void* (*)(void*), void*) + 0x5c (ccl_mem)
     0x8b29: err_thread_wrapper(void* (*)(void*), void*) + 0x27 (ccl_err)
     0x5aff: thr_thread_wrapper + 0x15 (ccl_thr)
    0x40e91: msg_exe_main(int, char const**, int (*)(int, char const**)) + 0xb2 (ccl_msg)
    0x237fd: __libc_start_main + 0xcd (c.so.6)

End-trace

Executable: quartus
Comment:
I changed the PCI PERST# pin to 1.8V to be compatable with the BGA NVMe I'm using and Quartus crashed. That is the only thing I changed.

System Information
Platform: linux64
OS name: This is
OS version:

Quartus Prime Information
Address bits: 64
Version: 20.1.1
Build: 720
Edition: Standard Edition

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi BrianM,

Below is a similar case.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/articles/000080960.html 

Probably the error is due to incorrect voltage set for the pin in .qsf (quartus settings file).

Best regards,
Sheng

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi BrianM,

Below is a similar case.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/articles/000080960.html 

Probably the error is due to incorrect voltage set for the pin in .qsf (quartus settings file).

Best regards,
Sheng

0 Kudos
BrianM
New Contributor I

FYI: for anyone else who finds this thread in the future. On the Cyclone V, the PERST# pin is 3.3V only and Quartus will crash (bug!) as shown above if it isn't set to 3.3V. The software should not allow you to change it.

To use a 1.8V only BGA NVMe (ie Swissbit) you need to add a reverse biased schottky diode in series with the signal to the NVMe so the an FPGA low will pull the signal low, but a high will simply let the signal go to whatever pullup is on the BGA package.

I think Swissbit dropped the ball on this, since 3.3V is the PCIe specification for the signal.

ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi BrianM,

Appreciate your helpful information on this thread. It really matter to community. I’m also glad that your question has been resolved.

I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Best regards,
Sheng

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos.

0 Kudos