Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Compatibility of Quartus Prime Lite Edition and Quartus 2

HSale6
Beginner

If I build and simulate a project using Quartus Prime Lite Edition, will it be compatible with Quartus 2? Will the simulations work properly?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Quartus II (not 2) was what older versions of the tool were called. If you take a newer project into one of those older versions, you'll need to recompile the design (same if you take an older project into a newer version of the software) in order to synthesize and run it in hardware.

For simulation, are you talking about using the old built-in simulation tool or a separate tool like ModelSim-Intel FPGA Edition? You really just need source design files and a testbench file to simulate.

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
HSale6
Beginner

So i actually don't need to synthesize my designs, it's just for simulations (educational purposes). My aim is to use Quartus Prime Lite edition, which is what I have available on my computer, to build my project and simulate it. However, since my instructor will be using Quartus II, I need to confirm they will be able to re-compile and simulate it.

And for the simulator, I'll be using ModelSim-Altera.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Before the simulation, you still need to synthesize the design. That is the flow of the simulation.

0 Kudos