Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15465 Discussions

Compatibility of Quartus Prime Lite Edition and Quartus 2

HSale6
Beginner

If I build and simulate a project using Quartus Prime Lite Edition, will it be compatible with Quartus 2? Will the simulations work properly?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Quartus II (not 2) was what older versions of the tool were called. If you take a newer project into one of those older versions, you'll need to recompile the design (same if you take an older project into a newer version of the software) in order to synthesize and run it in hardware.

For simulation, are you talking about using the old built-in simulation tool or a separate tool like ModelSim-Intel FPGA Edition? You really just need source design files and a testbench file to simulate.

#iwork4intel

HSale6
Beginner

So i actually don't need to synthesize my designs, it's just for simulations (educational purposes). My aim is to use Quartus Prime Lite edition, which is what I have available on my computer, to build my project and simulate it. However, since my instructor will be using Quartus II, I need to confirm they will be able to re-compile and simulate it.

And for the simulator, I'll be using ModelSim-Altera.

Kenny_Tan

Before the simulation, you still need to synthesize the design. That is the flow of the simulation.