Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16611 Discussions

Conduit signal to control external LEDs; some signal has been "copied"

BLee15
New Contributor I

I want to create custom component that controls 10 LEDs on DE10-Lite board.

When I tried to create conduit signal named "conduit_ledr" for output, signal named ​"conduit_ledr1" for input suddenly appeared, and there are other signals which seems to be "copied".

Is conduit right thing to control external LEDs?  If then, how to remove these "copied" signals? If not, what is the right way to connect LEDs to Platform Designer?

p0.png

p1.png

p2.png

p3.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JOHI
New Contributor II

Hello Blee15,

Can you tell us a bit more about what exaclty you are trying to do?

Is your objective to get a led blinking as a first step or are you looking to make a custom Nios component?

If you want to make a blinking LED, you can use a PIO (Parallel I/O) component in nios, export the "external connection" ports and then connect these signals to your DE0-LED's in verilog or VHDL where you instantiate your Nios design.

Best Regards,

Johi.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JOHI
New Contributor II

Hello Blee15,

Can you tell us a bit more about what exaclty you are trying to do?

Is your objective to get a led blinking as a first step or are you looking to make a custom Nios component?

If you want to make a blinking LED, you can use a PIO (Parallel I/O) component in nios, export the "external connection" ports and then connect these signals to your DE0-LED's in verilog or VHDL where you instantiate your Nios design.

Best Regards,

Johi.

0 Kudos
BLee15
New Contributor I

Thanks for the answer.

I couldn't find the right component to drive LEDs and/or switches; so, I tried to create new custom component.

Now, I know that PIO is the right tool to drive them.

After I finished working LEDs / switches, I'm going to work with hex displays.

For now, I'm not sure whether there is component which can control hex displays via digit (not segment bitpattern).

I'll ask as separate thread if I stucked again then.

0 Kudos