Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

Connecting Symbols in a block design file

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everyone,  

I have designed two separate .bdf files and then made their corresponding symbols.  

I have then created a new .bdf file and then trying to put all these symbols and connect them together.  

However, it seems to not generate anything on the output waveforms. All the blocks work fine independently but do not if connected together. I do not get any error message.  

Can anyone point out what I am missing? Are there any extra measures to be taken when connecting symbols in a .bdf file ??  

Thanks
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello everyone,  

I have designed two separate .bdf files and then made their corresponding symbols.  

I have then created a new .bdf file and then trying to put all these symbols and connect them together.  

However, it seems to not generate anything on the output waveforms. All the blocks work fine independently but do not if connected together. I do not get any error message.  

Can anyone point out what I am missing? Are there any extra measures to be taken when connecting symbols in a .bdf file ??  

Thanks 

--- Quote End ---  

The only thing I could think of is that you should change toplevel design to your new schematics: ctl+shift+j
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Farrukh, 

From my past experience. What I would do is convert each *.bdf into a *.bsf file. You can do this by opening the *.bdf file, then go to the file menu -> create/update -> create symbols file for current file. Then you can create a new Q II project and add your *.bsf to the top-level *.bdf. But you need to remember to add the *.bdf files into your current project. You can do this by going to the project menu -> add/remove files, then add all your *.bdf file names which you've instantiated in your top-level *.bdf. 

I hope this helps. 

Regards, 

pld_wiz
0 Kudos