Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16593 Discussions

Cyclone 10 GX Custom Programming Flow for SPI Flash Incorrect.

RFris4
Novice

I'm trying to use the custom configuration device programming flow editor (from convert programming files dialog) to produce the correct set of SPI commands via a JTAG .jic file with serial flash loader on a Cyclone 10 GX  10CX220Y to get the serial NOR configuration flash programmed on my board. The link to the Intel documentation for this tool is:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683491/18-1-1/modifying-programming-flows.html

I'm using Quartus 21.1 Pro.

I was having little success so I hooked up a logic analyser to the SCLK, nCS, SDI, SDO lines on the flash to see what was actually being sent to the device compared to what I had defined in the flow editor. What I observed was as follows:

1) The nCS line toggles seemingly randomly between commands. This probably does no harm, but is very strange.

2) I have defined a Write Register step with the following parameters:

Name: Write CR3NV

Command: 0x71

Data: 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x04 0x08

Delay(us): 100

Command-Data(bus width): 1-1

In the .xml file this is encoded as:

<action type="WRITE_REG">
<name>Write CR3NV</name>
<command>0x71</command>
<data>0x00 0x00 0x00 0x04 0x08</data>
<delay unit="us">100</delay>
<bus_width>1-1</bus_width>
</action>

I (and the rest of the world) would expect this to produce the following sequence on the bus:

<nCS low><0x71><0x00><0x00><0x00><0x04><0x08><nCS high>

but what actually gets sent is:

<nCS low><0x71><0x00><0x00><0x00><0x04><0x08><dozens of 0x00's><nCS high>

Consequently the flash device ignores this command (indicated by the WEL bit in the status register, set by a previous command, is not cleared and the WIP bit never being set).

When will this bug be fixed?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Farabi
Employee

Hello, 

I am checking with engineering regarding this issue. Please give us sometime to check on this. 

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hello,

I have filed bug report on this case. This will be fixed in future Quartus release. I can't do anything to help now, as this is Quartus internal issue. I will put this case to close for now.

internal bug report : https://hsdes.intel.com/appstore/article/#/15011385315

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos