Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16595 Discussions

Cyclone 10 fails to program jic on MT25QU128 memory

nasalmirror
Novice

As the suject states, my cyclone 10 10CL010Z256IG fails miserably to program jic on the attached memory, which is a MT25QU128. The hardware is all configured properly, with all pins connected how they should. Also I double checked every power line and clock and they are fine. Every configuration in the JIC generation is properly setup.

To be more precise, the quartus programmer fails to send every kind of command (program, erase, verify etc) but it works when programming the .sof in the FPGA SRAM.

It always says: Can't recognize silicon ID for device 1. I continued digging deeper with a Bscan. It all works. I can do every command properly with my bscan programmer. So the hardware seems to be working properly. I probed the 4 signals of the memory (CS, TDI, TDO and CLK) when programming with quartus and the CS and CLK are all over the place and the memory doesn't reply anything. When probing during bscan they all look good (I don't have proper pictures but just for reference, I attached a lonely CLK during programming with quaruts, and a 4 signal probing during bscan).

I am suspicious of the MT25QU128 model that comes with quartus (I mean the file that contains all the commands the FPGA can send to the memory, selected when generating the JIC file). What could be the problem? Would it be possible to receive those files? Or maybe it's the USB Blaster? (I have on original altera rev c blaster).

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

May i know what is the TCK frequency you used during JIC file programming? Also, is your MSEL set to active serial mode?

0 Kudos
nasalmirror
Novice

I probed the TCK while trying to program with Quartus, it's 5.8 Mhz. Also I don't know how to change the frequency, if it's possible.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

You may refer to guide below to change TCK frequency on USB Blaster, i would suggest to try with 16M / 6MHz.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd06242013_922.html

Meanwhile, check you MSEL and see if it is set to active serial mode or not.

0 Kudos
nasalmirror
Novice

I already tried doing that, but my USB BLASTER is not the Second version, and the JTAG  jtagconfig --setparam <cable number> JtagClock <frequency> doesn't work. It says that JtagClock is an invalid parameter. 

I would also like to know how to adjust the CS timings in a custom memory model (from quartus programming file converter), and then pass it to the jic file.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I think the memory model that comes in Quartus during programming file generation should be fine.

What you mean by CS timing? Are you referring to CS0 pin?

The potential fix for this error message can be found in link below, please try:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/quartushelp/13.0/mergedProjects/msgs/msgs/epgme_device_siid_error.htm

Moreover, can you screenshot me the setup in Quartus Programmer when you are programming JIC?

Regards,

Bruce

0 Kudos
nasalmirror
Novice

Here is the screenshot requested.

The link you sent me suggests good solutions but I checked everything and all is set properly. 

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

What about the setup in Quartus Programmer when you are programming JIC?

Regards,

Bruce

0 Kudos
nasalmirror
Novice

I attached a screenshot of the programmer. I just select my .jic e that's it, as shown in the screenshot.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Thanks. Instead of attaching the JIC file. Can you try to click detect, then only attach the JIC on the cyclone 10 and try to program?

0 Kudos
nasalmirror
Novice

It does not work either way. The thing is, when I do autodetect it finds only my FPGA, but I can attach a flash device manually. I select MT25QU128, and even without any programming file selected, if I for example try doing BLANK CHECK it gives me the same ID error. I bought a new memory module in hope that the new one will work.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Yes, probably you can try with that. Hardware, JTAG should be problem as SOF can be programmed. Potential issue is the MSEL setting, configuration scheme selected in Quartus, Memory Device and etc.

Also, may I know what is the full micron OPN that you used in the design. The tested micron OPN can be found here.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/support-centers/configuration-support.html#intel-config-devices

Regards,

Bruce

0 Kudos