Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Cyclone III - Flash Loader IP not loaded

AWann1
New Contributor I

Hello all.

I am trying to program a Cyclone III LS with a new .jic file. 

I made modifications to the code and compiled it in Quartus 13.

However, these boards were built relatively recently and have EPCQ64A memory on them.

So I used Quartus 18 to convert the .sof into a .jic

But the lab laptop has Quartus 20.1 on it. I use that to try and program the Cyclone III LS boards.

I successfully go through the steps to reset the Cyclone III to factory, using ,tcl scripts, in order to get around the security settings.  But once Quartus starts to program the FPGA with the SFL image, it says:

Flash Loader IP not loaded on device 1

I am using a USB Blaster, Rev C

Can anyone see where I might be going wrong?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Can you try to compile and convert the JIC in the same quartus version?

0 Kudos
AWann1
New Contributor I

Unfortunately, the last Quartus version that supported Cyclone III compilation was 13, and the earliest Quartus that supported the EPCQ64A is 18. So I can't compile and convert in the same Quartus software version

0 Kudos
AWann1
New Contributor I

I've heard there is a patch for Quartus 13, 13.1.4 patch 4.70r

This is supposed to add functionality to version 13 to allow it to convert files to work with EPCQ64A

Is there a link to this patch or can someone email it to me? Thanks!

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Sure. I have sent you privately.

0 Kudos
AWann1
New Contributor I

Thank you!

I installed the patch, selected the EPCQ64A for the .jic memory, And created the new file in my patched Quartus 13.

But I still get the error: "Flash Loader IP not loaded on device 1" when I attempt to program it using the Programmer on the lab laptop.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Can you check if the device part number is selected correctly in the quartus design? Also, the device part number and flash part number EPCQ64A is correct during JIC generation.

0 Kudos
AWann1
New Contributor I

Yes, I confirmed the FPGA Device is correctly selected, EPC3LS70, and the memory is set to EPCQ64A.

I also checked the box in the convert programming file window that says "Disable EPCS ID check"

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

So you are using EPC3LS70, and you select EPCQ64A in the setting? I don't think it work that way.

0 Kudos
AWann1
New Contributor I

In the Convert Programming File window, I have the Configuration device selected as EPCQ64A (the memory) and the Flash Loader as EPC3LS70 (the FPGA)

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

It is possible to share me the screenshot of your programmer? meanwhile can you try to reduce the TCK frequency of USB Blaster II to 6MHz?

0 Kudos
AWann1
New Contributor I

I am using a USB Blaster, Rev C, I think it's only TCK frequency is 6MHz

Attached is the Programmer screenshot.

I did an experiment: 

I found that we had some old EPCS64SI16N memory in our inventory. I removed the EPCQ memory, and put the EPCS in its place. I remade the programming file to work for that memory. But I still get the same error: Flash Loader IP not loaded on device 1

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

From the screenshot, seems like programming is successful with the EPCS64SI16N. So can i confirm that with EPCQ, you have the problem and with EPCS, no issue?

0 Kudos