Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16594 Discussions

Cyclone III support in Quartus 15

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is it possible to manually install Cyclone III support for Quartus 15?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Not that I'm aware of.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

According to "Quartus II Software and Device Support Release Notes" on the altera web site, the latest version that has support for Cyclone III is 13.1. You will need to use that version or earlier if you have a Cyclone III board. Note that you can also use the select by device option on the download page to find out what version supports a given device. Some very old parts were never supported by Quartus II and won't be listed.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just to add on, you may check out the following page as well: 

http://dl.altera.com/devices/
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So why Altera says Cyclone III is still recommended for new designs but is no more supported since Quartus V14? 

For example, Quartus v13.1 is bugged (Hardware acceleration of floating point root square doesn't work well). The solution: problem solved on Quartus v14. Great, my device is not supported!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

So why Altera says Cyclone III is still recommended for new designs but is no more supported since Quartus V14? 

For example, Quartus v13.1 is bugged (Hardware acceleration of floating point root square doesn't work well). The solution: problem solved on Quartus v14. Great, my device is not supported! 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes. this is a problem with both Altera and Xilinx. Dropping support in their latest tools for devices. If you have a good FAE, you may be able to get the "Fix" backported to 13.1. But I wouldn't hold your breath.. 

Pete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes. this is a problem with both Altera and Xilinx. Dropping support in their latest tools for devices. If you have a good FAE, you may be able to get the "Fix" backported to 13.1. But I wouldn't hold your breath.. 

Pete 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes they did. I lost 6 months with their support until they admit there is a problem and sent me some files to update on the install folder. But it's a shame to let customers alone when a bug is known and nothing is done for a part of customers! Cyclone III should definitely not be commanded for new designs!
0 Kudos