Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16593 Discussions

Cyclone V chip availability

AGORS5
Beginner

Hello Intel,
For one of our applications I already selected Cyclone V SoC chip ( 5CSEMA6F31C6 ).
How long do you expect to keep this part active ? Longer than 5 years starting from now ?
It is important to know if this is dead end or not. If it is , please recommend part with longer life time.
Best regards
Adam Gorski

0 Kudos
7 Replies
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Intel community.

Please be noted that 5CSEMA6F31C6 are still active and orderable. We do not see it to be EOL for current time. Anyhow, the life cycle is depending on its order volume. 

However, a lifecycle of a new device (eg: Cyclone 10) should be about 10-15 years depending on its ordering volume.

You can subscribe to our customer notification mailing list at below link so that you can be notified when an Altera device is going to be discontinued.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd04252012_977.html

Thank you.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
AGORS5
Beginner

Hi ,

So here is my point of view.

Life time as you said is 10-15 years. Cyclone V Soc was introduced around 2012 approx.

Having such information I can guess that 5CSEMA6F31C6 turn to NRFND around 2022 - 2027.

Is it right way to estimate life time ?

I would go for Cyclone 10 if there would be Cyclone 10 SoC. Then I would have 10 years life time, but there is not.

Having such information it is difficult to start new project with pretty big chance that 5CSEMA6F31C6  production status turn into EOL before I finish development.

So , if you tell me that 5CSEMA6F31C6 will be still active for another 5-7 years , I will go for it. So ?

Best regards

Adam Górski

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Adam,

The lifecycle of 10-15 years is just an approximation. It still will depend on the demand, hence that is the reason why Intel do not provide lifecycle for all of our device. If the demand for Cyclone V SoC is still high for the next 7years, then it should not be EOL. Customer will received email notification if it going to be EOL. However, you can also option for Arria 10 SoC as it is the latest SoC product.

Apologize for the inconveniences.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
AGORS5
Beginner

Hi,

Ok. Let's imagine that Cyclone V just turned into EOL. How long it will be still purchasable since EOL happened?

Is there any state between Active and EOL ? Like NRND ?

Best regards

Adam Górski

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

It may took few months for last order acceptance after the EOL announcement. You may refer to all PDN below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/quality-and-reliability/pcns-and-advisories.html

Also, Cyclone V is still recommended for new design as mention in out website:

https://www.intel.com/content/altera-www/global/en_us/index/products/fpga/cyclone-series.html

Hope this help.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous reply that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos
GordWait
Novice

And of course, the Cyclone V product line suddenly vanished from shelves everywhere with no warning. 

30 months lead time for any part, and very little news as to what the plan is. 

My guess is a die shrink, but it is also possible that the Cyclone V part is done. 

Looking for a supply of this model: 5CGTFD9E5F35C7

0 Kudos