We would like to install the Design example "Intel Cyclone 10 LP FPGA Triple-Speed Ethernet and Intel On-Board PHY Chip Reference Design" in a version of Quartus prime.
In the documentation it is referred to version 18.0, but the latest version of Quartus Prime is 20.1. Does the Design example work with version 20.1?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Intel FPGA doesn't support reference design migration upgrade option as sometime there is huge IP design changes from one Quartus version to another Quartus version. So, it's like building new design completely.
However for your case, Cyclone 10 LP is legacy FPGA which I don't foresee much new IP design changes.
- But to be safe, I strongly suggest you to try out hardware testing with default v18.0 golden reference design first
- Once proven working only upgrade to newer Quartus version to test out
Thank you for your interest in my problem, but I will rephrase my question:
It seems that you need a $2990 paid version to install this free IP, right?
So, before buying a $2990 license, I would like to know if this IP is compatible with version 20.1.
Thank you in advance for your support
Let me rephrase my answer to clear your doubt as well.
- Does Quartus Standard v20.1 support Triple Speed Ethernet (TSE) IP ?
- Does Intel has ready working v20.1 TSE IP reference design ?
- No. The latest reference design that we have is just v18.0 as you saw earlier.
Sorry to disappoint you but we do keep IP solution version up to date to match with latest Quartus version release, just not on the IP example design side.
From business point of view, the development priority of IP reference design will always focus on latest FPGA product family instead of maintenance of legacy FPGA product.
No offense here but Intel marketing strategy is always to promote latest FPGA product family instead of promote legacy FPGA family.
Thanks for your understanding here.