Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zhichao
Beginner

Does Intel Arria 10 or Intel Cyclone 10 GX Avalon-MM DMA for PCI support scatter/gatherer?

I am developing a window KMDF driver for the Intel Arria 10 or Intel Cyclone 10 GX Avalon-MM DMA core. Does this core support scatter/gatherer at hardware level? It is not very clearly to me from the documentation (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_a10_pcie_avmm_dma.pdf). From the embedded peripheral IP user guide, it mentions the msgdma which needs NIOS II support and recommended to use for new design. The msgdma sounds more like a SG DMA as the descriptors are stored in a linked list with variable sizes. The msgdma has already been supported by Linux kernel. On windows side, it seems it can simplify the driver development quite a bit if hardware support is available.

More specifically, what kind of configuration should I use for the Avalon-MM DMA core for this Windows driver configuration:

WDF_DMA_ENABLER_CONFIG_INIT( &dmaConfig, WdfDmaProfileScatterGather64Duplex, DevExt->MaximumTransferLength );

If the DMA core does not support SG, the KMDF driver has to map the scatter/gatherer list manually across multiple descriptors. This does not sounds very efficient nor convenient.  

Any help in this understanding is very appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies