Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15060 Discussions

Does anyone have a working project with "I2C Slave To Avalon-MM Master Bridge intel FPGA IP"?

kmunj
Beginner

In my project, I used ​"I2C Slave To Avalon-MM Master Bridge intel FPGA IP". I managed to build and download the code successfully. But I can't flash the LEDs. I used the output of this core to flash LEDs on Intel Cyclone 10 LP FPGA evaluation kit. I am using Lite version of Quartus Prime Software. I am using ST Micro Nucleo-F767ZI's I2C interface to FPGA board. I wrote a small program for MCU to put different values out of I2C every second. I know the program works, because if I use different I2C FPGA IP it works. But this IP is not reliable. It doesn't work all the time. I used following from web which does I2C Write only;

https://www.fpga4fun.com/I2C_2.html

That's why I am trying to make "I2C Slave To Avalon-MM Master Bridge intel FPGA IP" work.

Is there a tutorial or an app note on how to make this IP work and the I2C MCU code to go with it?

Thanks

Kiran

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoanneSinY_L_Intel
Hi kiran, Can you refer to the link below page 187-196 https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_embedded_ip.pdf There is the source code about translating the bridge I2c data and I2C I/o ports to an I2C interface, Thanks Joanne
kmunj
Beginner

​Thanks, Joanne.

I will make changes to my MCU and FPGA code as per user guide you recommended. I will test this on Monday.

I am using Quartus Prime Lite Edition.

Thanks

Kiran

JoanneSinY_L_Intel
Hi Kiran, May I know any update or should I consider that case to be closed? Thanks Joanne
kmunj
Beginner

​Hi Joanne,

I read as per suggestion and tried it again. But no luck in doing a write cycle.

Is there a sample MCU code to interface with I2C_slave core?

Following is my code. Similar code worked for other write only I2C IP core, I mentioned earlier.

buffer[0]=0x04; //Write data x04 address byte

buffer[1]=0xCC; //Write data xCC

buffer[2]=0xCC; //Write data xCC

buffer[3]=0xCC; //Write data xCC

buffer[4]=0xCC; //Write data xCC

HAL_I2C_Master_Transmit

(&hi2c1,0x55<<1,buffer,5,100);

HAL_Delay(1000);

I am using Nucleo-F767ZI board interfacing with intel Cyclone board.

Thanks

Kiran

JoanneSinY_L_Intel
Hi Kiran, Sorry for late reply. But I can't find any sample MCU code to interface with I2C slave Thanks Joanne