Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

Downloading ELF Process failed when executing from flash

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am using Eclipse to program my Nios on a Max10 FPGA. When I run the Nios code from the RAM everything works fine. Now I changed everything so that the code would execute directly from the flash (on-chip). I set all settings as described here: 

https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/an/an730.pdf 

I used Option 1a 

Now if I try to run/debug the code directly out of Eclipse I get "Downloading ELF Process failed". 

Console says: 

--- Quote Start ---  

Using cable "USB-BlasterII [USB-1]", device 1, instance 0x00 

Processor is already paused 

Reading System ID at address 0x00481028: verified 

Initializing CPU cache (if present) 

OK 

Downloading 00200000 ( 0%) 

Downloading 00210000 (70%) 

Downloaded 92KB in 0.1s  

Verifying 00200000 ( 0%) 

Verify failed between address 0x200000 and 0x20FFFF 

Leaving target processor paused 

--- Quote End ---  

Attached is my setup. 

I programmed the Nios code with a *.pof to the device and this also works fine. 

Is it even possible to run/debug code directly from Eclipse? 

Best Regards
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Usually that would be due to missing timing constraints, but I see you are connected to on-chip rather than off-chip flash.  

I it seems you assigned the memory region in the BSP editor, but did you change the physical wiring in Qsys to allow Nios II instruction/data master to access the on-chip flash? (I can't see the Qsys diagram...resolution too small...)
0 Kudos
SDevaux
Novice

Hello,

I have the same problem, everything go right when I program via Quartus Programmer in pof.

I can run it from SBT, but if I change something in my C Code, I have to rebuild pof, program UFM and then I can launch it from SBT Run "NiosII hardware".

Seems that SBT can have access to UFM in write mode.

did you have an ansewer from Intel?

Thanks

0 Kudos