Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16603 Discussions

Driver trouble on CentOS 6.5

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm trying to set up a node for OpenCL on FPGA development. I accidentally had my CentOS 6.4 update to 6.5 with 2.6.32-431.5.1.el6.x86_64 and the driver does not seem to work. When I run ./user in /hld/linux64/driver I get the following message:  

using /dev/de40 

couldn't open the device. did you load the driver? 

The driver is loaded (I think? I checked using lsmod), but ./user keeps giving me that message. I also checked and /dev/de40 exists when I try to query the FPGA. 

dmesg gives me the following when I manually unload/load the driver: 

aclpci_drv: module license 'unspecified' taints kernel. Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint aclpci_init (666): ---------------------------- aclpci_init (667): Driver version: 13.1.3. aclpci_init (682): pci_register_driver aclpci_init (688): success 

I'm using a terasic DE5-NET board. Any help in solving this would be appreciated. Thanks!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is very strange, I'm getting an errno=6 (no such device or address) when I try to open /dev/de40, but I clearly see it. Am I missing something here?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can you see your board as a PCIe device with /sbin/lspci? Maybe the board did not come up properly or has no FPGA image.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can you confirm the exact version of the SDK you're using? 13.1? Which build?  

Have you tried removing the driver and reinstalling it?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I was trying to use 13.1.3.178. Did a fresh install of 13.1.3.162 and everything is working perfectly now. Must have botched the patch somehow :/ 

Thanks for all of your help!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That's great news. Also good to hear the driver works with CentOS 6.5. If you have any further issues please feel free to comment/post on the forum here so that others may benefit. Thanks.

0 Kudos