Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

EPCQ128N not works correctly

EFran7
Beginner

Goodmorning everyone,

i have a problem on a card mounting an FPGA CycloneV.

The FPGA is connected to an EPCQ128N memory in active serial mode.

If I compile the FW by correctly setting all pin options and convert the sof file to JIC file I see strange behavior.

The Programmer is able to program and verify the memory correctly, however the FW does not start. However, if I replace the memory with an identical one of a more recent production batch, the FW correctly work. I repeated the test on multiple cards and with different EPCQ128N memories. The problem seems to be attributable to the production batch. I don't understand why the memory is correctly written and verified by the programmer but at startup it cannot program the FPGA.

Help.

Thank you all.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know if this issue is related to Nios II firmware or FPGA configuration issue? Could you provide me the full part number?

0 Kudos
EFran7
Beginner

Hi,

the issue is related to FPGA configure.

The firmware does not include NIOS but only VHDL state machines.

The full part number (Marker on chip) of EPCQ is:

EPCQ128N

CQ226 VS

CHN812

Thanks for support.

0 Kudos
EFran7
Beginner

Hi,

If I replace the EPCQ memory with another using the same jic file, the FPGA configuration works well.

The memory that works has the following marker:

EPCQ128N

G0OO4 VS

CHN244

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I observed that EPCQ128N is working and not working. Not sure if what is the different. Not sure if you are able to provide the full part number of the EPCQ128N? Are you using the EPCQ-A device which is not working?

0 Kudos
EFran7
Beginner

The problem, however, as mentioned above, appears to be associated with a defective production batch. We have a card that mounts Cyclone V part number CEFA7F27C8N and an EPCQ memory used in active serial mode.

A) I purchased in 2016 about 100 pieces of device part number EPCQ128SI16N: these work correctly on the board.

Above the chip there is printed this:

EPCQ128N

G0OO4 VS

CHN 244

B) I then purchased another 50 pieces of device part number EPCQ128SI16N (the same) in 2019: these do not work when mounted on the same card.

The strange thing is that the Programmer write and verify EPCQ128N with USB Blaster successfully.

EPCQ128N device of batch B) seem OK but FPGA configuration doesn't work.

Above the chip there is printed this:

EPCQ128N

CQ226 VS

CHN 812

I checked the signals on the Clock, CSn, Data0 and Data1 pins with an oscilloscope: the signals seem right.

Other useful information:

The tests were performed using various versions of Quartus:

QuartusII 15.1

Quartus Prime Standard 17.1

Quartus Prime Standard 18.1

During the comparative tests, the same jic file has always been used for both memories under test.

I tried to use EPCQ-A: by properly recompiling and generating the jic file they also work correctly.

Only memories of the production batch B) don't work correctly.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
EFran7
Beginner

below the photo of the chip that does not work.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know if all 50 device is not working? Could you provide me the jic file that you use to program the flash and also performed read back data from flash to me?

0 Kudos
EFran7
Beginner

Hi,

I still haven't tried all the memories but for now about 20 memories don't work.

Attached is a test jic file created for EPCQ128.

0 Kudos
EFran7
Beginner

Attached is the file downloaded from EPCQ128 using Quartus Programmer in 'Examine' mode

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

While I am checking with engineering to understand what is the different between this 2 part, I have check the file that you provided and I am observing some mismatch in the middle of the EPCQ device. May I know if you are able to performed full erase and performed blank check? Have you try to monitor the nStatus pin during power up to see if configuration error is happening?

0 Kudos
EFran7
Beginner

Hi,

I'm able to perform full erase and blank check.

The result is OK.

Attached is the file downloaded from EPCQ128 using Quartus Programmer after full erase.

This file is identical to programmed jic except for the final part which is different.

However, the FPGA configuration does not work.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know if you are able to create a design using "Serial Flash Controller" IP? I suspect that the EPCQ device that you are using is having block protection enabled which cause the erase or programming not to work correctly.

0 Kudos