Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15542 Discussions

Elaboration error in Merlin router

jdoherty
Beginner

Hello,

I am having an issue with elaborating generated files from a Platform Designer project. I inherited a CPU project and needed to add interfaces to it so I could connect it to other Avalon bus designs in my  project. I intended to add three Avalon MM Slave Translators which are in the picture below as application_interface, dai, and ddi. 

jdoherty_1-1597679163899.png

However, anytime I add a new module to this project, generate HDL, and try to run Analysis & Synthesis I get the following error messages:

Info (12128): Elaborating entity "cpu_altera_merlin_router_181_wpeblfi" for hierarchy "gvrd:gvrd_0|cpu:CPU_INST|cpu_altera_mm_interconnect_181_nbk4cfi:mm_interconnect_0|cpu_altera_merlin_router_181_wpeblfi:router" File: /home/jdoher     ty/ddm/exe_rh_icb_fw/hdl/lib_euresys_ip/gvrd-a10gx-tpg-fb_fifo/cpu/cpu/altera_mm_interconnect_181/synth/cpu_altera_mm_interconnect_181_nbk4cfi.v Line: 2552

Error (10232): Verilog HDL error at cpu_altera_merlin_router_181_wpeblfi.sv(208): index 32 cannot fall outside the declared range [31:0] for vector "address" File: /home/jdoherty/ddm/exe_rh_icb_fw/hdl/lib_euresys_ip/gvrd-a10gx-tpg-f     b_fifo/cpu/cpu/altera_merlin_router_181/synth/cpu_altera_merlin_router_181_wpeblfi.sv Line: 208

Error (12152): Can't elaborate user hierarchy "gvrd:gvrd_0|cpu:CPU_INST|cpu_altera_mm_interconnect_181_nbk4cfi:mm_interconnect_0|cpu_altera_merlin_router_181_wpeblfi:router" File: /home/jdoherty/ddm/exe_rh_icb_fw/hdl/lib_euresys_ip/     gvrd-a10gx-tpg-fb_fifo/cpu/cpu/altera_mm_interconnect_181/synth/cpu_altera_mm_interconnect_181_nbk4cfi.v Line: 2552

If I remove the added interfaces and rebuild it once again passes elaboration.

I am using Quartus Prime Version 18.1.0 Build 625 09/12/2018 SJ Standard Edition which is a requirement for my project. 

Has anyone seen this error before and is there any way to work around it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
NG
Partner
4 Replies
SyafieqS

Hi Joseph,

I found a KDB related to your issue, might have to see it

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/soluti...

Thanks,

Regards

jdoherty
Beginner

Hi,

I've tried moving one of the slaves up to 0x7800_0000-0x7803_ffff but that didn't seem to work. I also grouped all of the new slave interfaces into one and gave that a larger address width which also didn't work. 

NG
Partner

Can you try an experiment and add an Avalon to External bus Bridge and then connect a slave to that to see if that compiles?

ftp://ftp.intel.net/Pub/fpgaup/pub/Intel_Material/16.1/University_Program_IP_Cores/Bridges/Avalon_to...

jdoherty
Beginner

Thank you, that did compile. 

Any idea why there is a difference between the External bus Bridge and the Slave Translator?