Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Error (169281): There are 469 IO input pads in the design

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I get the following error message in Quartus when I compile my code: 

Error (169281): There are 469 IO input pads in the design, but only 293 IO input pad locations available on the device. 

However it works fine when I compile the same VHDL code in VT System FPGA Manager (Vector tool).  

I am using Cyclone IV E EP4CE75F23I8L.  

Since I am using a Vector board there are a number of IO ports that are set by default in the main HDL file. Do I get this error because Quartus does not know which board I intend to use? 

Also, is the error message referring to the IO pads available on the FPGA or on the board?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Quartus doesn't know anything about your board. Check the Pin Planner to make sure your I/O location assignments are set correctly, but it clearly seems like there are too many I/O in your design for the device you are targetting. I don't know what VT System FPGA Manager is (is that a synthesis tool?).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Quartus doesn't know anything about your board. Check the Pin Planner to make sure your I/O location assignments are set correctly, but it clearly seems like there are too many I/O in your design for the device you are targetting. I don't know what VT System FPGA Manager is (is that a synthesis tool?). 

--- Quote End ---  

VT System FPGA Manager is a tool from the company Vector that executes Quartus for compilation of the VHDL code, and uses its board as target. When I do it directly on Quartus it doesn't know anything about my board so I should probably stick to the VT System FPGA Manager but the problem is that the compilation takes forever (over 1.5 hours) and I had to cancel because I couldn't wait for it so long.  

However compiled a similar design before, and it only took 20 minutes, don't know why It takes so much time now. It is almost the same design. Just added some input ports.
0 Kudos