Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

Error 23031 when using the EDA Simulation Library Compiler within Quartus II 12.1

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I recently installed a fresh version of Quartus II 12.1 Web Edition on a Win7 Enterprise SP1 machine. When trying to compile the simulation libraries using the Quartus II 12.1 Web Edition EDA Simulation Library Compiler (using the shortcut within the quartus II start menu folder) I get the following error: 

couldn't execute "c:\altera\12.1\quartus\bin\qeslc": no such file or directory 

while executing 

"exec $full_path" 

invoked from within 

"if { $gl(gui_mode) } { 

set full_path [file join $::quartus(binpath) $ui_script_name] 

exec $full_path 

} else { 

# check that family is required unle..." 

(file "c:/altera/12.1/quartus/common/tcl/internal/simlib_comp.tcl" line 1574 

------------------------------------------------ 

Error (23031): Evaluation of Tcl script c:/altera/12.1/quartus/common/tcl/intern 

al/simlib_comp.tcl unsuccessful 

Error: Quartus II 32-bit Shell was unsuccessful. 1 error, 0 warnings 

Error: Peak virtual memory: 160 megabytes 

Error: Processing ended: Tue Dec 11 14:36:20 2012 

Error: Elapsed time: 00:00:01 

Error: Total CPU time (on all processors): 00:00:01 

c:\altera\12.1\quartus\bin

Looking into this, there is no qeslc.exe in that directory, or anywhere else for that manner. The closest thing I was able to find is a qeslc.pdb file, which appears to not be executable.  

This is a default installation of Quartus II and it appears this TCL script is bork bork borken. I have verified this to be the case on a second machine, also with a fresh install of Quartus II. It would appear that this TCL script worked in previous version (Quartus II 9.1) but that really doesn't help my position since I am starting development with 12.1 

What do I need to do to resolve this issue?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It has been months and no replies. I recently revisited this and discovered this is a problem with version 12.1 and is fixed in 12.1 SP1.  

specifically, you have to run this tool from the GUI within quartus (tools -> "launch simulation library compiler"), instead of the windows start menu option.