Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

Error: Can't launch ModelSim-Altera Simulation software

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am using quartus web edition and ModelSim-Altera starter under ubuntu 12.04 (32-bit) system. 

However, after compling, when I execute simulation, I got one error: 

Nativelink TCL script failed with errorInfo: Can't launch ModelSim-Altera Simulation software -- make sure the software is properly installed and the environment variable LM_LICENSE_FILE or MGLS_LICENSE_FILE points to the correct license file. 

In my PC, I installed another Mentor product, which will use LM_LICENSE_FILE or MGLS_LICENSE_FILE. 

Is this issue because: when I installing quartusii+modelsim-altera-starter, the installer detected this system has "Flexible License Manager" lmgrd, and then my modelsim-altera-starter beame the subscriber version? 

Please help me to fix it.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Problem was solved. 

I deleted ".altera" folder, which is under the home directory. 

Then, I run the program, and it works.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I know that this is a somewhat old thread ... but I would like to put my two cents as others may benefit from my solution. I did removed the .altera_quartus hidden directory, and I still had issues with it. However, I went a bit further and then deleted the .modelsim file ... and that did it. Issue went away. Please note that these are hidden files and thus the "."(dot) is in front of the name.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I am with the same problem. However, I deleted altera_quartus but it does not work and i did not see any folder named as .altera or .modelsim. Need some suggestion

RZhen11
New Contributor I

Unfortunately, I ran into this with ubuntu 16.04 LTS

modelsim-altera FPGA Edition (16.1).

Starter edition works fine.

I'm 100% positive $LM_LICENSE_FILE is set properly.

0 Kudos