Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Fails trying to install Quartus prime on ARCH LINUX

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Cannot install either thru AUR or from .tar -file provided on webpage.  

Error messages: https://imgur.com/a/sxuwp 

I'm new to this board and if the thread is misplaced, I would appriciate if a moderator could move it! 

Thanks 

Sixtenson
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi ... could you give exact details of the Arch system? Regards, Jonathan.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

All linux versions are not created equal. If you want to run Quartus on linux, best to choose one of the supported versions as listed on the Quartus web page.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi ... could you give exact details of the Arch system? Regards, Jonathan. 

--- Quote End ---  

Of course! 

Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.15.2-1-ARCH 

Shell: bash 4.4.19 

DE: GNOME 

CPU: Intel Core i7-7500U @ 4x 3.5GHz  

GPU: intel 

I have tried downloading from Alteras webpage, but I get an error message about a conflicting lib file right at the end, so I can't start the program... 

Best regards  

Sixtenson
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi ... 

Having done quite a lot of Quartus command line installation on Ubuntu (and a little on Red Hat) I thought I'd try on Arch. It appears to get itself into some sort of loop and won't complete. As others have said, I'd recommend trying one of the supported Linux platforms. 

Sorry nothing more positive to report! 

Regards, 

Jonathan. 

Uname says 

Linux archlinux 4.14.15-1-ARCH# 1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jan 23 21:49:25 UTC 2018 x86_64 GNU/Linux 

Installation command was  

./tmp.installquartus.sh/unpack.16.1.0.196/components/QuartusLiteSetup-16.1.0.196-linux.run --mode unattended --unattendedmodeui none --installdir /home/archlinux/altera/
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

All linux versions are not created equal. If you want to run Quartus on linux, best to choose one of the supported versions as listed on the Quartus web page. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks for the reply, but I cant get any version to work, sadly. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Sorry nothing more positive to report! 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks for trying!
0 Kudos
eaw
Beginner

I’ve also had issues with the installer hanging… but I was able to work around this by installing Quartus Prime Lite and Model Sim separately (using the provided installers in the components folder). So maybe the following might work for you, or perhaps provide more debug output than the GUI installers that just hang.

Before installing, I created the final install directory manually (just in case the installer complained about the directories not already being there):

$ mkdir -p "/home/${USER}/altera_lite/16.0/"

Now, go to the setup directory (contains setup.sh), enter the components directory, and try running the installers there separately, and without any GUI, as shown below (make sure to change the version numbers as appropriate):

$ cd components
$ ./QuartusLiteSetup-16.0.0.211-linux.run --mode text \
    --disable-components quartus_help,modelsim_ase,modelsim_ae \
    --installdir "/home/${USER}/altera_lite/16.0/";
$ ./ModelSimSetup-16.0.0.211-linux.run --mode text \
    --installdir "/home/${USER}/altera_lite/16.0/" \
    --modelsim_edition modelsim_ase;

Hope this helps someone out!

0 Kudos