Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16603 Discussions

Fitter Error with Quartus 19.4 and not Quartus 19.1 for HPS_IOPLL_REFCLK_PIN pin location

VFlav
New Contributor I

During migration from Quartus 19.1 to 19.4, I recompile project and fitter error appear.

A clock pin assignment conflict is raising between HPS_IOPLL_REFCLK_PIN and hps_ddr4_pll_ref_clk which is directly connected to pll_ref_clk_clock_sink to drive DDR4 (as describe on screenshot of PlatformDesigner)

HPS_sys_Capture.jpg

Quartus fitter indicates folliwing error :

Error (14566): The Fitter cannot place 1 periphery component(s) due to conflicts with existing constraints (1 pin(s)). Fix the errors described in the submessages, and then rerun the Fitter. The Intel FPGA Knowledge Database may also contain articles with information on how to resolve this periphery placement failure. Review the errors and then visit the Knowledge Database at https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/search.html and search for this specific error message number.

Error (175020): The Fitter cannot place logic pin in region (78, 142) to (78, 143), to which it is constrained, because there are no valid locations in the region for logic of this type.

Info (14596): Information about the failing component(s):

Info (175028): The pin name(s): hps_ddr4_pll_ref_clk

Error (16234): No legal location could be found out of 1 considered location(s). Reasons why each location could not be used are summarized below:

Error (175005): Could not find a location with: HPS_IOPLL_REFCLK_PIN (1 location affected)

Info (175029): AL27

Info (175015): The I/O pad hps_ddr4_pll_ref_clk is constrained to the location PIN_AL27 due to: User Location Constraints (PIN_AL27)

Info (14709): The constrained I/O pad is contained within this pin

Error (15307): Cannot apply project assignments to the design due to illegal or conflicting assignments. Refer to the other messages for corrective action.

How can I solve this error (maybe to connect both clock together ?)

Thx,

0 Kudos
7 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Please try the following:

1. You will need below INIs variable :
  • emif_restrict_hps_refclk_to_ac_tile=off

1. Open the fitter_error.qar file, add the INI file with emif_restrict_hps_refclk_to_ac_tile = off.

2. Then re-check the fitter.

Could you please try using these INIs and let us now if the error disappears when placing an HPS-EMIF?

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

May I know which device you are working on? Arria 10 SoC Stratix 10 SoC?

0 Kudos
VFlav
New Contributor I

Hi el.ign,

Thank for the help.

The project is for an Arria 10.

I have follow your instructions. I have created an INI file (quartus.ini) and I have added it to project via Settings dialog box.

In this file I paste your instruction, and I rerun the entire compilation project.

Unfortunately, the same error is raising during compilation.

Could you confirm the correct implementation of this option ?

0 Kudos
VFlav
New Contributor I

Hi,

I solve my problem today by updating the quartus2.ini file which is on C:\User folder.

I add previous option on it, and compilation is done without any error.

Thank for help,

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

For clarification, by adding previous option, are you using the INI variable that I provided in my previous reply?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
VFlav
New Contributor I

Yes, I added emif_restrict_hps_refclk_to_ac_tile=off variable into quartus2.ini file (in [General 19.4_pro] section) as describe in my previous post.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Noted that and glad that it fixed your issue, feel free to post a new question if you have any.

Best Regards.

0 Kudos