Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Gated clock conversion and state machines

robert_g
Beginner

I'm having issues with gated clock conversion if there is state machine in gated clock tree. As soon as I remove fsm or select synthesis option to not infer state machines the gated clock conversion works well. 

Any hints ? 

Reason given when conversion doesn't work is 'Found unsupported gate'.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

What do you mean by 'gated clock tree'?

I have run state machines at an effective lower frequency than the master clock by using an enable signal for the state machine.

Ie, something like this:

reg [3:0] count = 0;
reg [3:0] state = 0;
reg enable = 0;

always @(posedge clk)
    begin
    count <= count+1;
    enable <= (count == 0);
    end

always @(posedge clk)
    begin
    if (reset)
        state <= 0;
    else
        if (enable)
            begin
            case (state)
            0: state <= 1;
            1: state <= 2;
            default: state <= 0;
            end
    end

so that in this case the state machine triggers every 16 clocks based on the value in count.

0 Kudos
robert_g
Beginner

My problem is related to gated clock conversion to clock enable. By gated clock tree I meant all the logic which is clocked by gated clock.

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

Well I am not sure what you mean by a 'gated clock' then. Can you provide a simple example of your logic in verilog?

To me, a 'gated clock' means inserting logic in a clock signal path to control the usage of the clock.

That is not a recommended design practice for FPGAs. Better to distribute a common clock and use enable signals on registers.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

You may checkout the Clock-Gating Methods below, see if it meet your design requirement :

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683082/21-3/recommended-clock-gating-methods.html

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Since there are no feedback for this thread, I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos and select the best solution. 

0 Kudos