Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Get value from output vector/ output 8 bit binary on 7 segment display

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello all, 

I am trying to implement an eight bit carry look ahead adder. But my main issue is that I do not know how to output the sum which is an 8-bit out std_logic vector to a seven segment display. As per this youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkkgyoc4zra), I was able to implement the 8 bit to bcd circuit (component binbcd in my code) and through this link (http://vhdlguru.blogspot.com/2010/03/vhdl-code-for-bcd-to-7-segment-display.html) I am able to output the bcd on the seven segment display (called printOut in my code). However I don't know how to fully integrate every thing in my code. I was thinking that I could declare a signal called output and set the value of sum to output by doing output <= sum. But then I get the error  

Error (10309): VHDL Interface Declaration error in cla4_add_subtract.vhd(51): interface object "sum" of mode out cannot be read. Change object mode to buffer. 

How do I go about reading from the sum or better yet how do I output 8 bit std_logic_vector to 7 segment display? 

library IEEE; use IEEE.std_logic_1164.all; entity cla4_add_subtract is port(a, b: in std_logic_vector(7 downto 0); cin: in std_logic; subtract: in std_logic; sum: out std_logic_vector(7 downto 0); cout: out std_logic; overflow: out std_logic); end cla4_add_subtract; architecture cla4_add_subtract_arch of cla4_add_subtract is component mux2to1 port( a, b: in std_logic_vector(7 downto 0); sel: in std_logic; y: out std_logic_vector(7 downto 0)); end component; component claFour port( a, b: in std_logic_vector(7 downto 0); carryin: in std_logic; sum: out std_logic_vector(7 downto 0); cgout, cpout, overflow: out std_logic); end component; component binbcd port(bin : std_logic_vector(7 downto 0); p: out std_logic_vector(9 downto 0)); end component; component printOut port(digit: in std_logic_vector(3 downto 0); print: out std_logic_vector(6 downto 0)); end component; signal carry: std_logic; signal b_not: std_logic_vector(7 downto 0); signal b_actual: std_logic_vector(7 downto 0); begin b_not <= not b; carry <= cin; MUX_SUB: mux2to1 port map (b, b_not, subtract, b_actual); ADD0: claFour port map (a, b_actual, carry, sum, cout, open, overflow); library IEEE; use IEEE.std_logic_1164.all; entity printOut is port(digit:in std_logic_vector(3 downto 0); print:out std_logic_vector(6 downto 0)); end printOut; architecture parch of printOut is begin process(digit) begin case digit is when "0000"=> print <="0000001"; -- '0' when "0001"=> print <="1001111"; -- '1' when "0010"=> print <="0010010"; -- '2' when "0011"=> print <="0000110"; -- '3' when "0100"=> print <="1001100"; -- '4' when "0101"=> print <="0100100"; -- '5' when "0110"=> print <="0100000"; -- '6' when "0111"=> print <="0001111"; -- '7' when "1000"=> print <="0000000"; -- '8' when "1001"=> print <="0000100"; -- '9' when others=> print <="1111111"; end case; end process; end parch;
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you have an internal signal called something like "sim_i", that connects to sum and read into this new output.  

You could also switch the compiler to VHDL 2008 and your original code will work just fine.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

you have an internal signal called something like "sim_i", that connects to sum and read into this new output.  

You could also switch the compiler to VHDL 2008 and your original code will work just fine. 

--- Quote End ---  

Syntactically, How would I connect a "sim_i" to sum?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

remplace all instances of sum with sum_i in your current code and add: 

sum <= sum_i;
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks this helped.

0 Kudos