Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

HSSI Simulation Tools

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What tools are people using to simulate their high speed transmission channels? We have Agilent's ADS on hand since we do a lot of analog RF design and we've been looking at AWS for the same reason, but we get the feeling that high-speed digital is typically done with different tools. What are your experiences with SpectraQuest or HyperLynx or just plain HSPICE? 

Any recommendations?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The tools that I generally use is Ansoft HFSS, Ansoft designer and Mentor Hyperlynx. It really depends on what you want to do and the speed of the interfaces are. Ansoft Designer witn Nexxim is an excellent choice for RF design as well. If you are planning on useing the IO drivers of the ALT2GXB then you're choices are limited I belive that HSPICE, ELDO and DML models are supported.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For Hyperlynx simulations, Altera provides IBIS models for almost all device families. Quartus can write IBIS models during the compilation. 

Altera also provides Hspice models which can be written out during compilation if you choose the right selection. 

You can choose to generate IBIS or Hspice models during compilation by selecting the format in EDA tools settings page in Quartus. 

You can use IBIS models in HyperLynx and Hspice models in Synopsys Hspice tool. If you use Hspice models with other SPICE tools, you would still require Synopsys Hspice tool to decrypt the encrypted Hspice models. 

Altera recommends to use Hspice for high speed I/Os. 

-lakhat
0 Kudos