Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16594 Discussions

How can I fix issue with JTAG programming mode?

RSher11
Beginner

When I was working with my project I’ve got a problem. In the project NIOS II software was loaded from EPCS device into DDR II memory chip. ELF was converted to HEX by the following script:

#! /bin/sh # $1 - Path to *.sof # $2 - Path to *.elf sof2flash --input $1 --output hw.flash --epcs --verbose elf2flash --input $2 --output sw.flash --epcs -A hw.flash --verbose nios2-elf-objcopy -I srec -O ihex sw.flash sw.hex

JIC file was created by the dialog window “Convert programming File” with following settings:

creating_jic.png

I made some changes in my QSys project, regenerated it and started full compilation process in Quartus II software, but I forgot to update HEX according to new changes and I got incorrect JIC file. I loaded this file into EPCS device on my PCB and it stopped working properly. I corrected my mistake and tried to load JIC file again, but I got the error message in Quartus II console window. Quartus version is 14.0.2 build 243.

CONF_DONE_error.png

I erased EPCS device via Active Serial mode, but this problem appeared again and I could not fix PCB workability. I can’t load JIC via JTAG mode, but I can still use «Auto detect» button in «Programmer» window and it gets correct information about FPGA device.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know if it is possible to change the MSEL setting? I would recommend you to change the MSEL to non-AS mode before powering up the board. After the board is power up, switch the MSEL to AS mode and performed JIC programming.

0 Kudos
RSher11
Beginner

Hi,

I cannot change the MSEL setting. It impossible on my PCB.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know if it is hard wire or you are using resistor to set the MSEL setting?

0 Kudos
RSher11
Beginner

I use resistors to set MSEL setting, but before that accident with incorrect JIC file I could load my JIC files.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Currently due to the flash issue, you will need to change the MSEL so that it will avoid FPGA to be programmed through AS mode. This is so that you are able to reprogrammed the flash with the working jic.

0 Kudos