Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

How do I capture commands generated when using quartus gui

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What I want to do is create command line scripts to perform a set of functions that I do using the quartus GUI. 

I would like to capture the commands being executed through the GUI and use that information to create 

scripts so that I can automate the process that is currently performed manually via GUI. 

Yes.Yes I know I should be able to use the tcl and just write scripts... But I think that seeing what the GUI 

does via a command trace is a shortcut as well as a learning aid to being able to write scripts. 

Thanks in advance.. 

Dan..
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Quartus does have a tcl console, but it doesnt echo the current commands unlike vivado. 

You can see the commands being executed in the status window - they start "command: "
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, echoing should be added. It does so with the Assignment Editor, but not the other Quartus stuff. 

When you run a compile, the commands get put into the .flow.rpt. That calls each module individually. A full compile that is just like pushing the compile button can be done in a single line: 

quartus_sh --flow compile <project_name> -c <qsf_name> 

(The -c <qsf_name> is only necessary if it's different then the qpf name) 

Another interesting resource for finding commands is typing: 

quartus_sh --qhelp 

This launches a GUI with all the commands and options, which is useful for exploring rather than typing help on various commands.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

But I think that seeing what the GUI does via a command trace is a shortcut as well as a learning aid to being able to write scripts. 

--- Quote End ---  

To determine the Tcl command without reading the documentation (to try and figure out what the command might be), I change a project setting using the GUI, and then I export the project to a Tcl script (Project->Generate Tcl file for Project). 

Once I know what the command is, then I might read the manual ...  

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos