Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

How do I get cyclonev_hmc file to simulate Cyclone V hard controller?

CStub
Novice

I am using 18.1 free version of Quartus Prime. My design uses the Cyclone V hard controller. I was able to simulate the example design, then changed the MPFE port numbers and type to suit my design. I tried to create a test bench to simulate and was successfully adding required libraries until loading

"altera_mem_if_hard_memory_controller_top_cyclonev.sv"

when I received the error:

Instantiation of 'cyclonev_hmc' failed. The design unit was not found.

I cannot find this file on my system, nor have I found any simulation options in the IP Editor that might account for it being missing.

Has anyone had similar experience? Am I doing something wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
CStub
Novice

I eventually found the module. It was located in an encrypted file, which is why I did not see it. FYI the Cyclone V msim_setup.tcl setup script for the hard memory controller was missing 3 files:

"$QUARTUS_INSTALL_DIR../modelsim_ase/altera/verilog/src/cyclonev_atoms.v"

"$QUARTUS_INSTALL_DIR../modelsim_ase/altera/verilog/src/cyclonev_atoms_ncrypt.v"

"$QUARTUS_INSTALL_DIR../modelsim_ase/altera/verilog/src/cyclonev_hmi_atoms_ncrypt.v"

Ultimately got things working as described.

Thanks, Craig

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MuhammadAr_U_Intel
Hi, Component 'cyclonev_hmc' should be in one of the Libraries, my guess is you are missing one of the library in your simulation command. Since you are using Modelsim Intel Starter Edition (all the pre-compiled libraries are shipped with simulator), you just need to specify the library name in vsim command (-L cyclonev) please refer to the simulation command from the auto-generated simulation script for IP (msim_setup.tcl). Thanks, Arslan
0 Kudos
CStub
Novice

I eventually found the module. It was located in an encrypted file, which is why I did not see it. FYI the Cyclone V msim_setup.tcl setup script for the hard memory controller was missing 3 files:

"$QUARTUS_INSTALL_DIR../modelsim_ase/altera/verilog/src/cyclonev_atoms.v"

"$QUARTUS_INSTALL_DIR../modelsim_ase/altera/verilog/src/cyclonev_atoms_ncrypt.v"

"$QUARTUS_INSTALL_DIR../modelsim_ase/altera/verilog/src/cyclonev_hmi_atoms_ncrypt.v"

Ultimately got things working as described.

Thanks, Craig

0 Kudos